Camera flaw reports justified?Support

Last Updated:

1. talvi

talvi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Have just read some pretty damning reviews of the Milestone 2 camera eg Droid 2 review -- Engadget.

• Is this to do with the optics or with the firm/software?
    • Are reports of the camera's failings justified?
    • Does anyone know how well it compares to other physical QWERTY devices such as the Nokia N900 (Karl Zeiss optics)?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

1. Droid 2 is not the same as Mi;lestone 2.
    2. Milestone 2 will get 720p recording that Droid does not have and will not have.
    3. Droid 2 was released mu earlier than Milestone 2 and we can hope Milestone 2 will be more polished than the Droid.
    4. Karl Zeiss has nothing to do with manufacturing Nokia's lenses, they only use his name, that is all.
    5. The keyboard is good on the Milestone 1 and will be better on Milestone 2 because the keys are bigger and the d-pad was removed.

If yo uwant a device that is actually being supported by lots of apps and will be supported by apps in the future than buy an Android phone, if you want the prehistoric N900 that is a single device running on the OS then buy the Nokia.

talvi likes this.
  3. talvi

BrilliantSzadzik!! Thanks for clarifying all of that. I had no idea about any of it and especially not the 'brand' use issue by Nokia, I am still reeling. So the 'Karl Zeiss' lens isn't one at all?!?

I hear what you're saying about Nokia :( I have just been willing Nokia to get their act together as I am living in Finland - but they seem set on another path, part of which appears to be misleading/exploiting their ridiculously loyal user base!

4. talvi

p.s. one 'last' thing ;) .... after the N900/Maemo debacle, I "know" Android (despite being sued for copyright by both Apple AND Microsoft!!) will survive, but was/is the Milestone 2 a stop gap before an Android 3 phone (in November??) ? I "know" the Milestone 2 will work with it but is it going to be the same story as the iPhone?

(should this be another thread ??)

5. Szadzik

What iPhone story do you mean?

6. talvi

Now you've put me on the spot! :D ok ...

Apple produced the 'first' iPhone, then within months the second. The first was an inferior product compared to the second. IMHO Apple wanted to get it to market asap to capitalise on the hype, to bring out the "second version" to take the wind out of criticism and to introduce what people were expecting in the first.

I imagine that rather than then rushing out their models, competitors simply speeded up the developments they already had in train. I understand it takes at least a couple of years to produce a really new model and the iPhone generation must have been in development at least that long.

Anyway ... Motorola released the first Milestone (UK Dec '09, Aug '10 os.2.2) and then the second within months, but I've come across talk of a third and OS 3.xx ... It seems there have been myriad OS problems - Motorola Droid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - so the question is when will a "non-beta" device come out :p or is the Milestone 2 that device?

7. Szadzik

Every single phone that comes out today has flaws. Why? Because hte competition is so high that if a manufacturer wanted to test everything out and release only after everything is perfect the phone would already be old on the date of release. You don't believe me? Check out every single forum about new phones like Samsung Galaxy S or any other and you will see.

Milestone 2 will be released around the time of release of Android 3.0 and I think it will get it at some point.

8. talvi

This is moving into the political ... but I don't agree with you there Szadzik. It's nothing to do with competition but to do with exciting (hyping) the market. All manufacturers now do it and in all products whether there is real competition or not. Look at toothpaste! Colgate dominate the supply in supermarkets but still manufacture dozens of varieties. They could easily combine the few active ingredients into one paste but fragmenting the marketplace creates niches that can be exploited. It's how quasi-monopolies farm the marketplace (we're the cattle).

But back to topic ... what of the next Android edition and the Droid development path?

Most "updates"/"improvements"/"upgrades" etc in ICT are BS and often retrograde. Power increases exponentially but I have noticed very little increase in speed over the last 40 years. Especially over the last 15 years the doubling and quadrupling of processor speed has had no impact whatsoever on the responsiveness of the machines I use. The rest of the system, software bloat etc, absorb the gains and inch the business strategy on. GUI's were a step forward, but I found Windows 3.0 wasn't improved upon except with regard to internet connectivity. I changed because I was forced to. Every five or ten years something significant happens and it then becomes consolidated. IMHO we're approaching that point now in mobile devices, however there is still a mass of consumer frenzy (destroying the environment and wiping out gorillas scrambling for the next gimic), and it's about timing. It's ironic in the 'information age' that getting at decent quality information is harder now than ever before.

... so it's great to find these forums :) thanks for your help.

Szadzik likes this.