Camera: Low Light SamplesGeneral

Last Updated:

1. sk1d

sk1d Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm considering getting the Galaxy S, but the only drawback I can see right now if the absence of a flash for the camera. I know flashes on camera phones aren't all that great, but they do help in many situations. I read in a couple places that this phone has a night mode negating the need for the flash.

So far I have not been able to find any sample photos taken in low light conditions, say a portrait of friends in a dark restaurant, or at a party. Can those of you who have the phone post some sample shots in these conditions?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. lcgreen

lcgreen Well-Known Member

I can't post some samples for you but I can say it is pretty DAMN IMPRESSIVE. Its night mode can turn a pretty much dark photo of a place as if it was taken at daytime of a cloudy day.

Lack of flash is not missed.

I think theres some site called Samsunggalaxysforum or something which has loads of photo samples.

3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice that there's a night mode. I will take some photos at the place I work tmr (the lobby lights are usually turned off) and post them up here.

4. arvindm

arvindm Member

Yeah I have to agree, night mode is quite fantastic. Will try posting up some pics soon.

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Damn. Page 3 already? This place is getting heated up.

Took some photos. Here you go

Lobby:
    With the lights on (link)
    With the lights off (link)
    With night mode turned on (link)

Model building:
    With the lights on (link)
    With the lights off (link)
    With night mode turned on (link)

The lobby photos are more of an extreme test - with the lights off, you practically can't see anything at all in the photo. In both cases, night mode brighten up the photo considerably without causing too much blur (a lot of digital camera night mode relies on long exposure time, which cause the photo to became blurry because of unavoidable hand shaking). The only down side is that there is quite a lot of noise.

Verdict: Not having a flash really is a downer for the phone camera. But if you want to take good quality photos, you should be using a proper camera in the first place.

6. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Looks like the camera on the wave performs better ( w/o flash )