• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera on G2...why does it suck

Sorry everyone for the delay. In comparison to the model at the store, my phone actually took better photos. I'm really not sure what the issue is. Nothing could be found wrong with the camera. Everything worked as normal. I'm still not entirely happy. I have a few days before my 2 week return is up so I may see about ordering another
I did the same; in fact, they let me compare it to one fresh out of the box and both seemed about the same...the one at the store did seem to focus a bit faster in normal mode than mine, but nothing too abnormal. I've accepted that this is just the way the LGs camera is and maybe a software UPDATE may fix it. Tonight is my last day to exchange and maybe I will for S&Gs in hopes the camera will improve. I still like the phone, but the camera is only okay to me, compared to the 920. I had an IPhone 4 and that camera was terrible lol

Upvote 0
In general, I found using the G2 camera to be very good. Most photos were excellent. Outdoors in midday light, all the photos were clear with good color, with the following exceptions:
1) For one photo, the color balance was way off. The picture had an odd orange hue throughout. Photos taken at almost the same time and place were fine.
2) Sometimes, if the sky appears in a photo which is primarily a landscape, it will show up more washed out and whiteish than I would like
3) There was one outdoor photo that was somewhat blurry. I would not have expected this with my prior phone (iPhone 4s).

Indoor shots: These may have been clearer than the iPhone 4s. At some point I will have to try a try side-by-side test of the two.

Another plus of the G2 (vs the iPhone) - I could actually use the screen outdoors. It was great. A positive side effect of the Folio case (Verizon) is that the folio front-door can be used as a sunshade, allowing full use of the screen in bright light.

Upvote 0
I'm finding that when you drop the exposure to -1, you get better detail and sharpness as well as maintaining the highlights better. From default (0) to -1 doesn't sound like much, but I find it yields a dramatic difference.

I took my wife to the driving range to hit a few balls and shot some video of her. I dropped the exposure for the video to -1 and the results were just amazing. Playing the video wirelessly to my Samsung F8500, with 'smooth' engaged on the TV's motion setting, smoothed out the motion even though I shot it at 30fps. The results made us both shake our head in disbelief that this came from a cellphone...crazy.

I've noticed on the video end that the video is more detailed at 30fps vs 60fps. The frame rate becomes almost a non-issue when I have the 'smooth' setting engaged on the TV.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how that blue collar can affect pictures since it doesn't intrude at all in to the actual lens area. Perhaps if the collar were slightly misaligned, it could nip the corner of the lens, but a properly installed piece should not.

I took mine off, but saw no difference between before & after.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why it effects it but when I took pics with it on they were very grainy and when I removed it, they were clearer and really sharp and crisp. The ring may interfere just enough to keep the auto focus from working properly. I would just recommend that if anyone is having problems that they make sure they have removed it before returning it. My wife is uber-critical of photos and absolutely loves what she's been able to do with this camera this weekend.

Upvote 0
I'm coming over from a Nokia Lumia 920 & 928, and I have to say that while I LOVE the G2, I'm not super happy with the camera either. It takes a good photo, but that's it. The Lumia took a SUPER photo, almost every time, no matter lighting, movement, etc...

This camera seems to be finicky and does the auto focus too much. Low light is fair to good and moving photos are not good at all. If I use the Intelligent Mode, it is much better, but rarely does a person have the time to start the camera app, change modes, then take the shot. Also, the Intelligent Mode is super slow to take a shot. By that time, your subject is GONE. The Lumia was less than 3 seconds from pocket to photo, and it came out great.

I'm not knocking this phone, or camera, again, I LOVE the G2, but the hype about the camera is not warranted. If you want to see what I'm talking about, go into a store and try the Lumia 920, 928, or 1020. You will immediately see the difference.

I'm hoping a Firmware update will fix the issues. The Lumia's went through a period of needed Firmware updates, then all their camera issues were fixed, maybe the same will hold true here.

Upvote 0
I had no idea the sound quality on videos taken with the G2 were so bad. All I hear is hissing and muffled noises in the back ground. Otherwise I loved everything about this phone. Now I see complaints about the "breathing auto focus issue" and now I see people saying its a noise cancellation bug or something.

I don't recall seeing any of these issues in the reviews. It's a shame. Now I know how Moto X users felt. Hopefully LG will do like Motorola did and issue a software update to fix the problem.

Upvote 0
How hard is it to take a picture.

I just took one with my G2 here at the temple

CAM00051_zpsce394c2e.jpg.html

Is that blurry?

Upvote 0
The only failing I saw with the LG was the sound on video recordings. Since I take lots of videos, it forced me to sell my G2. So if videos are important to you, I'd go with the S4. if not, the G2 is better IMO.

While it may well be a software update away from being fixed. I've heard bad things about LG and updates. So I'm not waiting around for it. :(

Upvote 0
The only failing I saw with the LG was the sound on video recordings. Since I take lots of videos, it forced me to sell my G2. So if videos are important to you, I'd go with the S4. if not, the G2 is better IMO.

While it may well be a software update away from being fixed. I've heard bad things about LG and updates. So I'm not waiting around for it. :(

I've never had problems with sound when recording videos, though to be fair I haven't recorded that much.

If this doesn't show that they have improved leaps and bounds in updates I don't know what will.

Android 4.4 KitKat now seeding to Korean LG G2 - GSMArena.com news

Upvote 0
I too had this problem with my camera. The pictures always looked a little blurry, especially anything white, which seemed to glow. And I looked everywhere and found nothing to correct it.

I decided to replace the camera. That wasn't the issue. Instead, I found the little plastic lens that was part of the phone housing was discolored. I popped out and problem solved.

This diy wouldn't be for for the faintest of hearts, but the ifixit instructions was a great guide. I plan to order a replacement housing. Included are before and after photos, as well as a picture of the housing along with the little culprit...
1220141114.jpg 1220141123a.jpg 1220141123.jpg

Upvote 0
Listen carefully guys... I have the same problem with g2 camera. It looks like indoor pictures are taken with cheep chinese replica of some phone. BUT I FOUND THE SOLUTION. EVERYONE SHOULD DOWNLOAD AN APP CALLED CAMU. And just increase the lux frm 3 to 5. And it literally transforms the result of camera. I hope u guys benefit from it. Let me know what u think. I am uploading pics to show the difference between phone's own app and camu.

Attachments

• 14395380145970.jpg
    14395380145970.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 79
  • TMPDOODLE1439538140801.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1439538140801.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones