Camera photos TOO vivid/pixelated/washed outSupport

Last Updated:

1. mbrando45

mbrando45 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys.

I have read all of the out-of-the-box rave reviews of the camera quality. I am not having the same experience. It seems that most of my photos are way too vivid, pixelated, and washed out looking. I have researched all of the forums I know of. I have tried reducing MP, ISO, brightness, etc. I just can't seem to find a good balance. I LOVE photography, but am less than an amateur when it comes to camera technology. I am the point and shoot, and pray it comes out looking good kinda guy with my other cameras. Haha.

Can you guys please advise me on how to get better image results? I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Mark

Advertisement
  2. kdwg927

kdwg927 Member

try turn the sharpness down a little, set the white balance to daylight, and change the metering mode to center

also i highly suggest vignette, has a lot of options for taking and editing

good luck

lemme know how you find those settings

zeke88 and ssddyakno like this.
  3. mbrando45

Thank you for the advice and the quick reply! I'll try it and let you know.

Mark

4. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

5. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

At the end of the day it's a smartphone. I don't know any phone that can come close to living up to the quality and shutter speed of a real camera which are really cheap nowadays.

But one thing I noticed is you have to wait for autofocus [green square] and keep the camera very still. Then it looks fantastic.

6. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

No doubt, my 7D images are still much better than this phone. BUT for a phone, the camera is exceptional and takes better photos that my wife's cheap Nikon P&S. Good tip, I'm sure some people don't wait for the green box.

EDIT: It may not sound like it, but I'm agreeing with you :D

7. mbrando45

Ok...I just realized I double posted. Sorry guys. I am behind an INSANE corporate firewall that times you out every 5 seconds or so...Haha.

Thanks big time for the help. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mark

8. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 Well-Known Member

where do u find the white balance?

thanks

9. mbrando45

Ok. I found that if I reduce the contrast and saturation, everything comes out much better. Ironically, my G1 took better photos with no adjustments needed. But, the Incredible is still the BOMB!

Last question. And, forgive me if this has been covered somewhere. Is it possible to disable the flash by default. Meaning that you have to enable it if you want it, instead of the way it currently is?

kdwg927, I'm gonna try vignette out. Thanks for the info!

Mark

10. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

Check up in the top right corner when you are taking pictures. It has a flash on/off setting.

11. kdwg927

kdwg927 Member

in the camera program, hit menu--> settings --> white balance is the first

IMO this has the biggest impact in picture quality, when set to auto, the inc seems to set the white balance to a cold, blue, washed-out setting

setting it to daylight seems to warm the image up considerably

12. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 Well-Known Member

Got it.
    thanks!!!
    I totally missed that the first time around

13. strummy

strummy New Member

i love vignette. it's my favorite app. i highly recommend it.

14. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the camera, is there a way to have the zoom slider on screen all the time?

15. Argent

Argent Well-Known Member

just slide your finger up or down on the side of the screen to zoom in or out - the zoom slider will appear automagically!

cp1 likes this.
  16. reflekt2099

reflekt2099 Active Member

i have had the same question and it looks like there isn't an answer. There isn't a way to set the default setting for the flash to OFF. Instead, every time you load up the camera, the autoflash setting is turned on. it's really annoying to me as the flash tends to be wayyy to strong in every situation, unless the subject in the image is at least 10 feet away.

I hope a future update to the phone will fix this simple option that should have already been taken care of.

17. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

Thanks! It seems to be tricky to get the zoom slider and not the option panel, but I'll keep working on it.

Ah I figured it out -- you can slide vertically anywhere on the screen to zoom.

18. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

you should try downloading fxcamera
    i like it a lot better than stock htc camera

19. AaronBBrown

AaronBBrown Well-Known Member

The problem is that it is a camera *phone*, not a camera. There is no such thing as a good camera phone. They don't exist and by making the Incredible 8mp, they reduced the possible quality. You can only fit so many pixels on a itty bitty sensor before the signal to noise ratio takes a sharp turn. The best you can do with any camera phone in current existence is to take reasonable snapshots. You can do things like make sure you are in good lighting (read: outdoors), take care to hold the phone very steady, etc, but at the end of the day, it's a phone and Internet device primarily, not a camera.

If you want to take anything other than snapshots, carry a real camera with you - even if it is a small point and shoot.

Aaron
    Flickr: AaronBBrown's Photostream

20. illusionz

illusionz Well-Known Member

I suggest lowering the contrast... I noticed the other day by default, they have it turned all the way up.