Camera Quality of North American 4G LTE VersionGeneral

1. universem2

universem2 Well-Known Member

I saw someone posted that the North American SGS3 had a crappy sensor vs. the international one. Is this true? What is the camera picture and video like?

Advertisement
    :
  2. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

I can tell you that so far on my Sprint loaner the camera has outshined my 4S in both well lit and poorly lit situations.
  3. tilk23

tilk23 Well-Known Member

The I747m at&t/rogers version takes better photos than S2 I9100. At least the one I have does.
  4. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

If you consider the iPhone 4S a crappy sensor than sure, the S3 has a crappy sensor. The S3 uses the exact same sensor as the 4S.

And there is nothing crappy about the S3. Takes awesome photos. Whomever posted that the S3 has a crappy sensor is nothing more than trolling.
  5. laptopquestion

laptopquestion Well-Known Member

Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Supply Chain

Samsung Galaxy S3

Image Sensor (maker)

Front
    1.9MB (HD)
    S5K6A3 (Samsung)

Rear 8MP
    S5C73M3 (Samsung)
    IMX175 (SONY)

The IMX175 (SONY) is the same used in the iPhone 4S, but the S5C73M3 (Samsung) obviously isn't. The S3 can have either.

More info here.
  6. finn5975

Is there a way to tell which a particular phone is using I wonder?
  7. laptopquestion

laptopquestion Well-Known Member

Doubt it without a teardown, but other have stated that the North American model (Dual core/2GB) uses the Samsung sensor.
  8. universem2

universem2 Well-Known Member

thanks for the reply finn and others. in my tmobile store there was a floor model. up close it took better pictures than my 4s ( or at least it seemed that way on the phones screen when compared to my 4s). from a distance the 4s beat the s3 but not by much. hope there was a way of knowing.

tmobile version took better shots than the verizon version....Verizon version looks like an 8mp Nexus camera. Maybe I didn't play with the settings enough.
  9. finn5975

The biggest thing I've noticed is that you cannot necessarily tell on the S3s screen what the picture truly looks like because of the amoled screen. I took a picture outside today and from the looks of it you'd think I have the brightest and lushest green grass there is. Hell it's damn near brown. On the computer or my iPhone it showed accurate.
  10. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

1. Open Dialer
    2. * # 34971539 #
    3. In the menu
  11. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

I wish we get the updated camera firmware soon. It brings new effects and probably some other improvements to the US versions:

[​IMG]
  12. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

very early GSM version have sony sensor in it (manufactured till MAY), after June, they switched to S5K3H5(S5C73M3).
    they did same thing on SGS2 also.
    early version of SGS2 had sony imx105 in it, then switched to S5K3H2.

the reason y they did this is that, they showed their new image sensor at MWC(feb/march) so there's not much time for them to mass produce camera module on galaxy S series.
    another thing is, S5K3H7 they showed on MWC2012 had problem with overheating and wire bonding, so they went with S5K3H5 instead so it took them more time.
  13. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member