camera question...Support

Last Updated:

1. hommey13

hommey13 Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 7, 2010
    Please please please don't kill me for asking the question...

i'm torn between the x and the incredible (and yes i know that i'm on the x boards and most people will be biased) but i'm really looking for some real user knowledge of the cameras on these 2 phones....i know, i shouldn't be buying the [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]phone[/COLOR][/COLOR] for the camera, but lets face it...i have over 1200 pics and 500 videos on my phone of my child...

all the "reviews" on the [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]internet[/COLOR][/COLOR] talk about the phone pre 2.2...and that doesn't do me any good...can anyone speak to the cameras the picture quality of them?

i played with them simultaneously in the store...and the x seemed very pixelated and rough around the edges...and the incredible seemed to snap the pic quicker...but who knows what the settings were on, since they're the ones in the store...and no i don't know anyone local that has both these phones to play with...

TIA for any advice....

2. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Both of phones use the same exact sensor, so the difference in pictures is going to be in the software.

I believe the Inc software applies sharpening to the photos, where the X doesn't. I don't use the stock camera software though, I use Vignette which I recommend over the stock software in either phone.
  3. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I will admit up front that I'm a little disappointed with the X camera (though not the video, nor the phone itself).

There's a thread comparing the 2 cameras here, just go through a few pages and you'll find it. The Inc definitely has more clarity, but the colors are more accurate on the X. The Inc actually looks a little washed out when it comes to the color. I believe the "sharper" picture of the Inc is from the lens/hardware and not the software because I've used near-professional photo editing software on my X pics to both sharpen my photos and to reduce the "noise" (the splotchy patches that are common w/the X). While I can improve the quality to a high extent, it's still not as clear as the Inc's photos. Not to mention it takes a lot of time having to do that.

My wife has a 5mpx Casio phone and, depending on the picture, sometimes it takes better pics than the X (sometimes not). Her pictures have virtually no noise at all, they are very smooth and natural. When I edit my pictures then they look about equal to her better ones, except again, the color is better w/the X.

That said, neither camera is perfect, and the color rendering of the X camera is excellent.

I'm also using Vignette.
  4. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010