Camera shutter sound off/on?Support

Last Updated:

1. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

How do I turn off the camera shutter sound when taking a photo in the Galaxy S3?
    I can't seem to locate the on/off shutter sound in the settings. Best I can do is mute entire phone which is not practical.

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

If your phone is rooted you can delete the shutter sound file (this is the method I use). If not then the only option is to use another camera app that has that feature.
  3. rapidsandroid

Not rooted. Was hoping there was a box to uncheck somewhere. Thanks
  4. chrlswltrs

No, it is done that way intentionally because a lot of places have laws that require a camera on a phone to make a sound when taking a picture so it is harder to secretly take pictures of someone.
  5. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

Work-around: Turn the volume down before you open the camera app.

Voila, Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Well-Known Member

do tell how?
  7. chrlswltrs

There is a cameraclick or camerashutter ogg file that you need to delete. It is located in /system/media/audio/ui
    rupintart and Hot Sauce like this.
  8. SurrealOne

Thank you what about video?
  9. SurrealOne

do I do this on the phone or connected with USB cable? and if it's on the phone what APP do I use to find it?
  10. chrlswltrs

There is another file for video in that same folder. I use root explorer on my phone to do it.
    rupintart and SurrealOne like this.
  11. rapidsandroid

True, but then I can't hear when someone calls or get notifications. Was just looking to disable the sound for only the camera.
  12. SurrealOne

Got cam and vid also learned a few new tricks. Thanks much:D
  13. chrlswltrs

No problem, that's why we are all here. Don't forget to hit thanks when someone helps you out :thumbup:
    SurrealOne likes this.
  14. BradSmith

BradSmith New Member

Tasker lets your phone do [X] when [Y] happens. Can Tasker put the phone into mute-mode whenever the camera is opened?

I see Tasker can tell when the camera button is pressed. If muted on button-press, how much more shutter delay would be added?

Would be ideal if Tasker could recognize when the camera is activated instead of button-press. Anyone know if possible?

When closing the camera another task could restore the volume level if the level could be stored.

15. chrlswltrs

That would be a very easy task to set up. When the camera is open Tasker could mute the phone, then by default the volume would be restored when the task exits (camera isn't open).
  16. shiggins

shiggins Member

That's how I do it, and it was easy.
  17. buythismobile

buythismobile Member

This is so ridiculous not to put an option to turn S3 camera sound off when anybody can use another application !!!

People who take so stupid decisions should be burned !
  18. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

and the thing was intentionally done (for some reason)...i believe the international version of the phone has the option...and the developers of the ROM im running (Synergy) have enabled the feature...

19. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

20. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

i thought at least one of the versions of the phone had the option??

Edit: Apparently its AT&T and T-Mo that have the setting
    SUroot likes this.
  21. frankoid

frankoid New Member

If you are rooted then you can enable the shutter sound menu item by adding
    Code (Text):
    1. <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>
    to /system/csc/feature.xml (or changing false to true if it isn't already there).

This worked for me on a UK international SGS3.
    rupintart likes this.
  22. jennyleigh24

jennyleigh24 New Member

Not so easy. I turned the volume to silent and the camera STILL makes noise! :(
  23. pcrow

pcrow New Member

Post #21 is the answer! I liked it so much that I just registered specifically to add this comment.

1) Root your phone
    [There are so many reasons to do this.]

2) Install a root browser.
    I used "Root Browser Lite," but I'm sure many others will do:

3) Edit /system/csc/feature.xml to set the option to true as described above.

4) Open the settings menu in your camera. The menu scrolls, and you have to scroll down to find the option. The option is next to the GPS tagging option.

This solves the problem for still photos, but there's still a clicking noise when you start or stop video recording, which I find rather annoying.
  24. chrlswltrs

Since you are rooted, read post 2,7, and 10. That is the easy way to make sure you never have a sound for a picture or video.
  25. xerph

xerph Member

what you can do, is pull down the notifications bar, and put your phone on silent mode. that kills all the sounds.

i guess thats the easiest way to go about this, without having to download another app or root your phone..
    am_beagle likes this.