camera update?General

1. spaceynyc

spaceynyc Well-Known Member

Do you think at some point there will ever be an official camera update for the Nexus? Because I'm thinking that the video stabilization issue is a software problem and can be fixed OTA and I feel like the camera picture quality can be fixed at least somewhat through software as well (I know I'm probably wrong but that's just my uneducated guess), so i'm hoping they'll put out something for that.

Advertisement
  2. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

yeah i think it's safe to say that a camera update could happen. There are lots of complaints with the camera and i'm sure it will see an update. When is the question.
  3. andyandroid81891

andyandroid81891 Well-Known Member

I don't know... camera has never really been a focus on Galaxy Nexus. When the Nexus One came out other phones had 8mp cameras with touch to focus and other nice features. When the Nexus S was launched a 5mp camera was REALLY out of date and now a 5mp that isn't BSI is crappier hardware than my Incredible. Google views this line as a sort of reference platform for the software and camera performance seems to be a low priority historically. I know the new camera app has lots of nice features but seriously... they were long over due and really just added to keep up with the times.
  4. andyandroid81891

andyandroid81891 Well-Known Member

I'd love it if I were wrong tho.
  5. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

The camera has been a focus with the Galaxy Nexus with the zero shutter lag feature. Google decided that it was most important to have a camera that can take pictures in the moment. They just seemed to neglect picture quality in the process.

I would hope a software update can fix the issues, but I wouldn't hold my breadth.
  6. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Other phones have been updated in the past, I don't think it's wild to think the gnex wouldn't be too. The camera is a fail IMO, not a deal breaker but still a fail. I'm actually surprised it got through testing the way it is. Regardless, I love e phone still. They did some things very very right.
  7. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

Yeah they heavily advertised the zero shutter lag with this phone so i think the Camera may be second from the bottom list now lol.

I agree that the quality is junk at times however i would take the Camera on the G Nex over ANY Motorola camera any day
  8. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

I've taken some really nice pictures with this camera, and a lot of garbage. Zero shutter lag is nice, but they need to have some image stabilization and better autofocus algorithims. Luckilly, those are software updates, and I'm hoping we can see some improvements in the future.
  9. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

Initially I was pretty disappointed that the camera on the Nexus was not up to par with other recent phones... then I objectively looked at how many times I used the camera on my DINC (which had a nice one), and it wasn't many. The vast majority of times I take pictures are when I'm hiking or backpacking, and I always have my 12.1 MP point & shoot with me. I definitely hope an update fixes it because I want the best device possible, but it's definitely not something I should be focuses on.
  10. JustBiteMe2k

JustBiteMe2k Active Member

it takes such crappy pictures when you use it, it's almost useless.

Zero-shutter lag --> no focus --> poor quality --> deleted picture --> missed opportunity

Good analogy; it's better to have a sniper rifle and hit your target, than a machine gun and waste bullets.
  11. northernale1

northernale1 Well-Known Member

really then why is there more machine guns, then snipers???,, Bad analogy
  12. JustBiteMe2k

JustBiteMe2k Active Member

I don't have any figures (nor do i care) on how many guns there are in the world. It's an analogy not a statistics lesson.

The point it, zero-shutter lag is pointless if it's not going to take a good picture.
  13. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

I wonder if an update included the option to give up zero shutter lag for a focused picture wound help? Might be a nice option to include.
  14. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

They're there, you just can't see them in their Ghillie suits. And by the time you hear them, well, you're dead. :(

True. I don't know to what extent a software update will improve it, but I think user technique can help (hold the phone steady w/o depending on the zero lag, yes I know that sounds like Steve Jobs advice).
  15. blackgnostic

blackgnostic New Member

The problem I had with the Nexus camera is leaving it on the Auto setting. When the SCN is set to action the auto focus seems to function faster. I seem to get a lot sharper pictures by doing it this way. A bummer since the software should read the scene better on auto.
    spaceynyc and vanack like this.