Camera users - how to make photos less grainy?Support

Last Updated:

1. offtheRIM

offtheRIM Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,
    I've seen some amazing looking pictures on the forum from the EVO, but all my pictures come out very grainy like some others I have seen lurking around the forums.

Soo, my question is to those who have seemed to found how to make their camera work "right" ... How did you do it?!

Advertisement
    GeneralPatton likes this.
  2. tx_brandon

tx_brandon Well-Known Member

As always, the more light, preferably natural sunlight, the better quality the pics will turn out. More light is by far the easiest and fastest way to reduce grain. Zero motion while capturing I'm guessing would be the second best way to reduce grain but I'm not 100% sure on that.

3. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Yeah, lighting is a big one to reduce grain.

4. Michael.

Michael. Well-Known Member

Correction, you need to change it from Auto ISO, to something lower like 400 or less., typically 100 or 200.

5. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a broken record, but most camera phones have poor performance in low light conditions. It's not fault of the image sensor per se, more so the size of the lens which doesn't allow much light to enter the camera.

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

I too have the grainy problems .. I'll definitely give the ISO change a try. Even in "in doors lighting", the pictures still came out super grainy.

Hopefully the lower ISO will fix it.

7. Michael.

It will. I had to do it. The flash will compensate, and even if you wanna squeeze a little more out of it, you can bump up the exposure compensation/brightness...

8. kendog2

kendog2 Member

I'm sure you did this already, but make sure your lens is not dirty. I took some pics that looked fuzzy and then realized that I had finger prints all over the lens.

9. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Graininess is a function of ISO. ISO is basically the "gain" or volume of the sensor. If the gain is turned up, there will be more noise. The default setting on this camera is auto. When the camera senses a low light condition, it turns up the ISO(gain). This will result in a grainy image. If you set it low in low light, it may not be grainy but it will be very underexposed and maybe blurry sense the shutter will have to remain open longer to get the amount of light it is seeking. Like everybody else has said, more light is the solution...be it natural or artificial. I set the ISO at 400 with the saturation turned up a bit and that seems to work well....adds a little more color to things. Use the flash if you need to.

Also, what most people don't realize is that if you touch the screen where you want to focus and hold your touch, the camera will remain focused on that spot and will take the picture while holding that spot....no need to press the shutter icon. This usually results in a better focused picture....learned that one with the Hero. That way you get to choose where to focus instead of the camera guessing. Just work with the settings and work with your technique....whether using the shutter icon or long pressing the focal point on the screen.

justjerry, smarzig, skpd and 7 others like this.
  10. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

*subscribes to thread*

All this ISO and saturation talk is new to me, I'll be tinkering around

11. Michael.

I'm really a photographer so the camera on this phone REALLY did it for me, for those times that I don't have my cam or want to get a decent shot in general without a point and shoot. I uploaded a few of the pics I took already and it will definitely suffice for me!

12. mms1946

mms1946 Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir! That took care of my problem. I have a SLR and am always changing the ISO never thought about changing it on a phone!

13. mms1946

mms1946 Well-Known Member

The flash is blindingly bright. Is it possible to dim it a bit? I took a pic of me and my son and I was seeing white circles for a few minutes.

14. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

I hope to get a DSLR and really get involved with cameras down the line. I like taking pictures, and once I get used to the EVO camera's settings and get the "right" setting configuration .. I look forward to using it quite a bit.

15. Michael.

I think, your best bet for toning down the flash, will be to adjust/mess around with the exposure values and such. It's a good camera, but its STILL a phone, not a SLR lol

16. Wave Beam

Wave Beam Member

Okay, I've tried the ISO reduction, taken pictures outside, dusted the lens, etc. I understand that it's a phone and not my D60. That doesn't justify or answer my problem. Here is a pic taken with the Evo from the internet:

[​IMG]

And here's one from me:

[​IMG]

17. Michael.

Hmm, that's strange. Do you have it set to full resolution, 8mp, and on high quality and on wide screen? The image EXIF says you were on iso 100. As was mine here. The only thing left I can think of is you might have been zoomed in.

[​IMG]

justjerry likes this.
  18. bhagiratha

bhagiratha Well-Known Member

Great shot ... love the Audi !

19. Wave Beam

Wave Beam Member

Wow, now that's what I'm talking about. I'd be happy with pictures of that quality. No, not zoomed in. I'm beginning to wonder if my camera is bunk. I've seen some really great shots out there, and the one I posted is one of the better ones I've taken, which is just awful.

20. donaldinc

donaldinc Member

Camera shake is another factor.Try setting ISO to 100 and use the self timer function so the camera shoots on its own without you touching it.

21. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

delete

22. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

As dumb as it is, make sure the lens is clean. Just due to how I hold my phone, I get my fingers all over it.

23. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member

So can you give a breakdown. What should the ISO be for:

Outdoor plenty of light
    Outdoor cloudy

Indoor some light
    Indoor no light will need flash

Thanks in advance guys for the answer!

24. gopens

gopens Well-Known Member

Ok so I have been having some issues with the camera as well. I read to drop the iso to 400 or lower and thats what I did. Here are a few pictures taken outside with iso at 400 and nothing else changed on the default settings. I think these pics turned out good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this picture was taken with the exact same setting as the ones above, yet it turned out grainy. I must of taked 20 pictures of my dog thinking it was me, yet they all turned out the same as this one pic.

[​IMG]

justjerry likes this.
  25. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member

taken and then i let facebook squish it to size and i still think they turned otu great. both with flash. second one is under my car with busted brake lines saved by 5 speed:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]