Camera: White balance?

Last Updated:

1. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone notice the white balance (on auto) isn't that great? Was in a banquet hall last night for a company function, and the auto white balance was WAY off... way too "warm" and or reddish cast... had to manually select incandescent to get any semblance of true color representation and white balance...

I hope it's something that improves with the next software update...

Has anybody else noticed the same?

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Android camera default settings are not good. It's been several iterations and it hasn't gotten better. I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. Sunflower1970

Sunflower1970 Active Member

There's something a bit weird with the white balance. I have to play with all the settings until I find one that looks good. I don't have the pink problem as some of the other people do -- just in one photo I took, the rest are fine...

What about some of the apps in the Market? Are there any good ones -- paid or free -- that work better than the stock camera app?

4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I'd recommend taking some pictures and porting them to your PC/Laptop or whatever and judge from there.

I sometimes find the AMOLED screen to have some strange tinges to whites.

5. TedSan

TedSan New Member

The color balance bug is really nasty. On my N1, I can change the white balance settings and the acquired image doesn't change at all under certain conditions (usually moderate ambient room light, like in restaurants).
    What makes it worse is that it alters the color balance so that even in Photoshop, it's very difficult/impossible to get an overall neutral color balance. I believe it's doing a non-linear balance which really screws up subsequent manipulation.

6. dwd3885

dwd3885 Well-Known Member

it sucks. i can kind of get the photo looking decent with picsay pro, but it'd be much nicer if the image you get is EXACTLY what you see before you take it.

7. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

OP, did you notice this problem with the stock camera app (before rooting to Modaco's SenseUI rom)? The two camera apps vary greatly.

8. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

this is where the Desire camera works much better... more accurate white balance, even if just a visual thing... and combined with 'touch the screen to focus' - the Desire camera blows the stock Nexus camera out of the water...

* by camera, I mean camera app, not hardware - they are the same afaik...