Cameraless Android?

1. fordfan485

fordfan485 New Member

Does anyone know if there is a Android Phone that comes without a camera or if one is planned for the future? I can't have a phone that has a camera at my work. The phone cannot physicaly have a camera. I currently have a blackberry 8830 w/o camera and am tired of feeling handicapped by its browser and lack of apps

Advertisement
    :
  2. wow, what kinda of secret squirrel job you have? I don't know what to tell ya... seems everything has a camera nowadays? You may could get a droid or whatever, and in the morning, just switch service over to your cameraless phone, on the way home, switch it back.

I understand many jobs have clearance stuff, but cameras on phones is a tough requirement to have anymore. You, quite possibly, have the last cameraless phone ever made, and your job has to realize this. You may be SOL.

what do you do if you don't mind me asking and if it won't get me put on some list that ruins my credit and kills my firstborn.... lol
  3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

There are rumors of Droid Pro without camera that is in the works. Hopefully there will be more that come out for folks like you. This is the one area where Blackberry excels - the lack of features that are standard on Android, LOL...
  4. wasyed

wasyed New Member

I'm stuck in the same situation, I need a cell phone without a camera and I prefer to have an android. I might even get myself one of the android tablets that take sim cards but dont have cameras (if there is one that does both). I've seen android tabs that take sim cards and android tabs that dont have cameras so maybe there's a middle ground.
    unfortunately my job does random checks to see if you have any camera's including cell phone cameras. There's a lot of jobs that require this and many of them arent budging. my dad is also stuck in a similar situation at his work place. This is probably one of the biggest sellers for some blackberrys, after all they are geared towards work environments many times. Hopefully there's something out there (even if it is a foreign knock off)
  5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I think this is going to be tough simply because of the market. I think far more people would rather have a camera than not, so it's a tough decision for a company to cater to the minority by removing the camera. Hell, even the most basic android phones these days come with a low-quality flash-less camera installed.
  6. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

No. Certainly not. In fact, part of the hardware requirements necessary to be compatible and approved to have the Android Market is to have the camera.
  7. dawankler

dawankler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the SCIF!

You're figuring out how Blackberry is still hanging on. They are the only manufacturer to really be catering to the Federal government still and they will probably always offer those niche phones that meet weird regulations you'll find. As Guamguy mentioned, you'll probably never see a camera-less Android phone since it's a requirement of the spec. Your only hope is that whichever agency you're working for changes their policy, which is highly unlikely since cameras in those locations are a pretty valid concern.

Just do what countless other people in your situation do. Leave the Android phone in the car while at work and live the double phone life.
  8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

What if you modded the phone itself so the cam no longer works and is no longer visible?
  9. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Damn. If you tell me where you work, would you have to kill me?

If you physically destroy the camera, will they let you go? A hammer and a pointy metal object should do the job.
  10. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I was not aware that BB made phones without cameras. I guess I just assumed it was standard issue on just about any phone smart or dumb nowadays. I certainly don't know of any Android that doesn't have a camera.