Camping. Yep.

Last Updated:

1. mattparmely

mattparmely Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to camp tomorrow night. I'll go to my Verizon at like 7pm and talk to the manger to see if he'll write me a note for the police just in case they have a problem with me being out there. I have done this before lol. Will be in my car with my girlfriend & two other friends. Going to get pizza delivered & starbucks & krispy kreme fresh donuts @ 5 am too. We are gonna watch movies on our laptops & use the wifi there. It really is a lot of fun.

Anyways, is there ANYONE else doing this? I know most people will just go in whenever or just early morning but what the hell, it will be awesome.

Advertisement
  2. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

That sounds like fun actually. I thought about it but I just couldnt pass up getting the instant rebate from Best Buy.

3. mattparmely

Camp at BB. ha. I did for my xbox about 3-4 years ago. whenever It came out that November. it was a ton of fun. Its more fun with a lot of people though.

4. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

that sounds sweet, i should do it even though i pre-ordered haha
    and a crowd of cell phone geeks wouldn't be as hostile as they are on black friday at best buy..people are insane

5. mattparmely

are they? I want to get that day off of work (i work at a grocery store) so the day before thanksgiving is our big one. I want to go to a black friday thing. WOuld be a ton of fun probably. I don't have money for anything huge after the droid, MW2, LEft for dead 2, & assassins credd 2, along with a few movies but I bet they will have some stuff cheap. Maybe I can snag an ihome half price or something...
    I know a lot of ads and such get leaked weeks early.

6. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

yeah, one year i ran into walmart...like sprinted to get a tv at 5am with about 200 people behind me (i was like 5th in line, got there REALLY early)

7. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

CLEARLY you don't live in my neck of the woods.

It is currently 22 degrees out. I don't consider hypothermia a good tradeoff for bragging rights to the first phone sold at my local VZW. I'll just casually stroll in at 8am when they open. I don't anticipate a line at all, anyway. :)

8. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

The last time I stood in line for anything was a midnight launch of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

9. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

So it would be a big change of pace to stand in line for something worth while, huh?

Just kidding. :D

10. mattparmely

haha I guess Im the only one.. for now. I don't anticipate anything till like maybe 6 am. But it will just be fun. It kind of feels like its here sooner, even though its not. Because your already in line lol.

I'm going to stroll in to verizon tomorrow night before they close up shop & try to get them to show me one!

11. xvenom89

xvenom89 Well-Known Member

No need to camp out and freeze. I have mine reserved at my local Verizon store and will just swing by at 7:45 to pick it up. I get to skip the line since I have a reservation :)

12. jaymac8888

jaymac8888 Member

Damn, be careful, and make sure there is an accessible toilet nearby. You don't want to lose your place in line. :eek:

13. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

VZW does not have any reservations for phones. They have a "list" that they are taking, but it is not to reserve your Droid. You will be waiting like the rest of the folks. I spoke with a Regional Manager by luck yesterday. He was negotiating with the mall to let them open the kiosk at 7AM. He said in our area that there is little chance of running out of Droids before early afternoon. The only way it would happen is if they have crowds larger than the iPhone crowds.

So, don't worry about it unless you are concerned with how long it is going to take to process everyone's orders. It will take about 20-30 minutes to process each person.

I am going at 6AM. If they line is more than 10 deep, I will just go to BB to pick up my preorder at 10AM.

14. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

are we able to just walk into BB without an appointment and get one?

15. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

yes...provided they have more than enough to fill preorders

16. kingohearts2005

kingohearts2005 Active Member

I camped from 6PM to 7 am last year in my city's first snow to get the storm. It was a great experience and listen to this there was one guy in front of me!! He was there at 3. So I have pre ordered the droid at best buy and I will be making my way out there around midnight. I will probably do a check at 10PM to be sure no one else is there and if they are I will be there then. I see it this way. I know the droid will be more stocked than the storm was last year so it shouldn't be a problem getting one but if I can do it for the piece of crap the storm turned into then I can do it for something as great as the droid is going to be not only for android but for Verizon also.

17. JRowMe

JRowMe Well-Known Member

that sucks.
    I got to Verizon at 6 and was the first one of about 25 in line for the storm.

I'm going at 5:50 this time :p lol

18. knickerbocker

knickerbocker Well-Known Member

Sounds a little extreme to me in my old age. I have done this for sports events and concert tickets and it is fun. But my back and my wife would frown on such things now.

I am going to Best Buy today to see how many pre-orders there are and when I can come in to get the phone.

19. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

If you have an android already get Qik or Ustream and live cast it. Or just post live shots here in this thread. We'll be watching!

20. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

hmmm, now you guys are getting me worried, ha....

But, I plan to get there about 10 minutes before they open, maybe 15.

Taking the entire day off, to get the phone, get it insured, then play with it the rest of the day(the phone, I mean ;-).

Try to figure out which apps and widgets I have to have, and get them loaded...

21. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

LOL

I'll be watching too.

We don't get camping much here in the UK, but it sounds like loads of fun. I'm really excited for you guys!

22. scorrpio

scorrpio Well-Known Member

I dunno... I am not that much of an instant gratification type. I am going to order mine tonight as soon as it becomes available. Gonna have a busy weekend, so won't really have time to play with my new toy...

That said, I'll probably stop by the VZW across the street from my office and see if I can test-drive one.

23. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

most best buys will have anywhere from 50-200 droids in stock for the release date..

24. Redbird1

Redbird1 Well-Known Member

Camping is starting to sound like a good idea. I spoke to a few stores in Chicago's Western suburbs. A few days ago, they weren't getting many calls about the phone. As of today however, they've been flooded with calls.

25. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

If I stood for anything worthwhile in my city, I'd get shot and it would get jacked as soon as I got to the parking lot.