1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Can 2 Androids be linked to the same master gmail account?

Last Updated:

1. Go Blue

Go Blue Member This Topic's Starter

Gonna be getting a new EVO Friday, and I already have a Hero.

Wondering if I can have both devices using the same master Gmail account at the same time. What happens with the pay-fer apps in that case?

I understand the apps are tied to the Gmail account so I will be able to get them back on the new device, just not sure if there is a sequence issue for what order I do things in.

Do I have to delete the old Android from the master Gmail account before I link the new EVO to that Gmail account?

Thx

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

In theory, you should be able to log into two phones with the same Google account. If you use them all three simultaneously, you may see errors concerning replication between the devices (I'm not sure on the frequency).

Many apps are personalised to your Google account. IMVHO this is the way to go, as it enables users to upgrade. How this works with two simultaneous phones I have no idea, but I suppose it might work (and would in that case be a sort of grey area, license-wise).
    Some apps are personalised to your phone's device ID, and then of course you will have a problem.

If it was me, I'd just go for it, and see what happens. I'm pretty sure you'll be all right. The only problem is, if it ends up duplicating and triplicating your email, contacts, and calendar ... good luck cleaning that up. :rolleyes::eek:

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

gnatwilcox and Go Blue like this.
  3. DrScrubs

DrScrubs Well-Known Member

You can link more than 1 phone to the same Gmail account. People on this forum have done so.

4. jon_space

jon_space Member

I think so - I upgraded from G1 to Droid and all seemed to work no problems.

5. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

I was switching between my Droid and Eris a few months ago and i left my Eris on connected to Wifi and I would get the same updates as the activated phone. I would get my gmail and work emails as well. Basically it worked but without cell service.