Can a Misbehaving App Turn Off the Phone?

Last Updated:

1. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My initial instinct was to blame the device when it randomly turned itself off yesterday. Could it be a poorly designed (or beta) app that's responsible?

Advertisement
  2. Uzza

Uzza Well-Known Member

not just possible but likely..
    beta apps can and will cause android to crash.

Jack45 likes this.
  3. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK. I did some things this morning to try to isolate the random shutdown. (I need to be careful because I do not want to cast any doubt about a particular app's stability without knowing the facts).

1. I uninstalled Launcher Pro. As a reminder - it is a beta.
    2. I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer.

Separately, I placed the phone on my desk about two hours ago and will not move it 'til early afternoon to see if there's any interaction between keeping the gyro in periodic motion and the phone's ability to stay on. This was posed by a user as a possible cause on AT&T's forum. In other words, it was thought that keeping gyros active in turn keeps the phone's CPU active and thus the phone does not shut down. I don't know how much effect the CPU's state has on the phone's power on/off state, but it's worth a try.

I know I should be trying each of the above three items in isolation, but rather than do that I'm attempting to find the cause by process of elimination.

Of course, if any readers come across meaningful results of their own testing (avoiding unsubstantiated speculation), please keep the rest of us in the loop.