• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can a phone provide WiFi to itself?

CheeseJam

May 12, 2010
This is a very obscure question, anyway....

I recently downloaded the game called NOVA. It has online multiplayer, but you need WiFi to play(I think this is to ensure a fast connection). I am a rooting noob, but from what I understand, you can turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot--providing WiFi internet to electronics near the phone. Now, since this game can only be played online with WiFi, and since a rooted phone can provide WiFi, could I root my Incredible and provide WiFi to myself, allowing me to play multiplayer online anywhere in NOVA?

It seems like this could be possible, but I don't know. Is there someway into tricking the phone into thinking a WiFi connection is actually a 3G connection maybe? Thanks! :)

Thanks for being so kind guys, I really appreciate it! :rolleyes:

Is there any way to trick the phone into thinking it is getting a connection through WiFi, when it is really getting a connection through 3G.

And, if you read my post, you would understand that the feces comparison does not apply. Ultimately, the 3G would be providing the connection.

Upvote 0
I dont understand why they're bashing you at all... Jailbroken iDevices can grab a "wifi tricker" thing like your looking for in Cydia. So to answer your question, yes, it would be possible to trick the phone into thinking 3g is wifi. As for your question about literally connecting to your own network, im not sure thats possible because the hardware is probably using the wifi radio to create the signal so it may not be able to create and connect at the same time, if that makes any sense. However i dont see a problem with trying it. Now for a better comparison, You can play music through the phone and then start up shazam and it will ID the song that the phone is playing without a problem. Granted, thats using two different pieces of hardware (mic and speaker) so its really just multitasking but you get the point.

Reactions: CheeseJam
Upvote 0
I dont understand why they're bashing you at all... Jailbroken iDevices can grab a "wifi tricker" thing like your looking for in Cydia. So to answer your question, yes, it would be possible to trick the phone into thinking 3g is wifi. As for your question about literally connecting to your own network, im not sure thats possible because the hardware is probably using the wifi radio to create the signal so it may not be able to create and connect at the same time, if that makes any sense. However i dont see a problem with trying it. Now for a better comparison, You can play music through the phone and then start up shazam and it will ID the song that the phone is playing without a problem. Granted, thats using two different pieces of hardware (mic and speaker) so its really just multitasking but you get the point.
Thanks for this answer, at least a few people are nice (+informative!) around here! ;)

So, what do you think the chances are of a "WiFi tricker" being made (Why would a phone need to do this, other than my obscure example?)? Would it be tough? Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
*quietly apologizes for the earlier outburst*
Honestly, I've never heard of anything like this, though I believe I understand where you are coming from. I guess my question would be: "how can the app tell the difference between 3G and WiFi?" The only way I can think of, being a network guy in my real life, is the IP address assigned to the phone. Over 3G, it's a Verizon assigned address, in the 72.xxx.xxx.xxx range or something like that (assigned by the network). When you connect via WiFi, the client device is assigned an IP address by the WiFi router, and it's almost always in the 192.168.x.x range (it could also be 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x). It's possible that the app is looking to see if your phone has an IP in those ranges assigned to it. That's the only way I can see it being "visible" to the app, and that's what it would probably take to make what you're talking about work.

So, to make this work in theory, the tethering app (which acts as the router in this case) would somehow have to assign a 192.168.x.x IP address to the phone. Possible? I have no idea, but perhaps someone with more Android knowledge than I have could work with it. It still seems like kind of a crazy loop to me.

Upvote 0
Well unlike The device that should never be named, The android system and the network that most of them run on, (Big Red cough cough) are able to support large downloads at once, That is one reason I think that verizon won't do both Call and Data, I really don't see a reason other than that.
It's not that they won't do it, it's a limitation of the CDMA network infrastructure. It just can't pull data and calls at the same time. I do wonder if you could use skype while surfing though since it is VoIP...need to test. That would be fun to stuff in the iFanboys faces.

Upvote 0
You can't activate the WI-FI if your using wireless tether..
so can't search for own signal..

would probably end the world if you did anyways..

I don't know about that but it might create a Black Hole which could allow you to time travel though. :rolleyes: You're going to need more power so i suggest waiting until the extended battery is out before trying. You don't want that black hole collapsing on you if your battery dies.

Upvote 0
Maybe its just me but I didn't rea half of the responds. Is it possible your getting thee terms confused? I'm guessing if that being the case since no offence but you said so yourself. You don't know.. if all your looking for Is using internet connection from your phone to play your game. Yes It Is possibal and to do so look Into tethering.. pdanet, or root your phone and use wireless tether.. just rooted my phone last night belive you me... 10 min video took me 6 hours because, like kost people... infamous "device not found"..

I hope this answered your question.

Upvote 0
The game I want to play online lets you play online with a WiFi connection, not a 3G connection. My question basically is: How do I trick my phone into thinking its 3G connection is a WiFi connection?
I posted a pretty lengthy response above concerning what I would think is the "theory" behind the trickery. Now, how you would accomplish is is another story entirely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones