• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can a screen protector actually Damage the phone?

Sarius24

Feb 11, 2011
Hey guys, my bro keeps telling me that screen protectors infact actually damage the touch screen. Is this true?

Also I ordered some screen protectors recently cause mine has dust stuck to it and it's making air bubbles.....my bro says that the air bubbles too can damage the screen. Is this true as well?

Merci

- Ron

I have never heard of any reports of screen protectors damaging a phone. Air bubbles will not damage the screen. It may cause older resistive touch screens not register a touch. Resistive touch screens require pressure to register touch. The Nokia C6 is probably the only new phone that uses a resistive touch screen now.

Almost all modern touch screen phones use capacitive touch screens. These screens require the conductive properties of your finger to register a touch. Air bubbles are less likely to interfere with your touch on a capacitive touch screen.

Upvote 0
I have never heard of any reports of screen protectors damaging a phone. Air bubbles will not damage the screen. It may cause older resistive touch screens not register a touch. Resistive touch screens require pressure to register touch. The Nokia C6 is probably the only new phone that uses a resistive touch screen now.

Almost all modern touch screen phones use capacitive touch screens. These screens require the conductive properties of your finger to register a touch. Air bubbles are less likely to interfere with your touch on a capacitive touch screen.

Thanks a lot dude, so reasuring. And yeah I think I posted this in the wrong area.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, my bro keeps telling me that screen protectors infact actually damage the touch screen. Is this true?

Also I ordered some screen protectors recently cause mine has dust stuck to it and it's making air bubbles.....my bro says that the air bubbles too can damage the screen. Is this true as well?

Merci

- Ron
Sounds like your brother is having some fun with you. :D

Upvote 0
Well, my personal opinion is that wet applying isn't worth the risk of getting the device wet, and the ones you don't wet apply can lift on the corners, allowing dust or sand to get in between, which would be much worse than not having a screen protector at all. Sand is the only thing that will damage 99% of new phones, so having something that could make sand damage worse never seemed worth it.

Upvote 0
I just got a new Atrix 4G a couple days ago and want to get a screen protector. I note a lot of them require water to apply, but the water-applied ones are less expensive, and some say they are better. Here is one I am considering:

http://tinyurl.com/4c5nxtb

I am not so concerned about getting water into the phone; I know better than to drown the poor thing. But I'm worried that the water application procedure might be more difficult, or result in a screen protector that reduces the capacitive qualities of the screen. Does anyone have any experience with them? Recommendations? What brand screen protectors do you have that you are happy with?

Upvote 0
Realook. I have tried at least 6 different brands, cheap to expensive, and Realook cannot be beat. looks like nothing is on the screen. I'm not going to assume that since I have gorilla glass that I can't get a scratch, paid way too much for this phone to have a scratched up screen.

they should have one for the atrix before too long

http://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Samsung-Vibrant-Premium-Protector/dp/B003WL4W6M

Upvote 0
Anybody who says a screen protector will cause damage does not know what they are talking about or they are trying to put one over on you.

I have used dry and wet screen protectors and can honestly say the corners will lift on either. That said, I have never had a problem with it other than putting a case on the phone.

As far as protection, it is cheap insurance and yes, they do their job. I have a Zagg on mine now and would have a nasty scratch on my screen if it wasn't for the protector. I do suggest you only go with a high quality, name brand protector.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones