Can a T-Mobile sim card work on an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S2?General

Last Updated:

1. amazingjay

amazingjay New Member

I have a tmobile sim card and I'm wondering if it would work on an unlocked Galaxy S2 that's available from amazon. If not, would a boost mobile prepaid sim card work? I live in the U.S. by the way.

2. Baschi

Baschi New Member

Yes, an unlocked phone will work with any carrier. The sim lock is something that limits the networks the phone can work with, not something that limits the phones the sim card can work with. It is usually just there so people don't get a dirt cheap subsidized phone and use it with another network, or so people don't get a new prepaid sim when in another country to avoid roaming charges.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Before you go out and buy this, I would do a search here. I have some recollection of reading that the SGS2 didn't work with T-Mobile in the US.

Until I read that, my understanding was the same as Baschi's but at least someone here doesn't agree so do have a look before taking the plunge.

Here is one post implying it won't work and here is another

In short, I know naff all about who uses which part of the spectrum in the States, but if these posters are correct, I would excercise caution before buying.
  4. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

T-Mo uses different 3G bands so I do not think you will get 3G services. Yes you will have phone and basic Internet but lack some speed on same.
  5. mjaber123

mjaber123 New Member

My brother bought one. The phone will make calls, but internet connection is only Edge. Super slow. T-mobile said it's because of the band difference.
  6. duckdown

duckdown Member

T-Mobile is AWS and there is no AWS band version of the phone :( I want it for Mobilicity here in Canada (T-Mobile uses same bands)