Can Android keep home life separate from work life?Support

Last Updated:

1. mathuin

mathuin New Member This Topic's Starter

I received an Android phone as a gift, and I want to use it as a replacement for my HTC Touch Pro but I have a number of issues I need to address first.

I use GMail for my personal mail and Exchange for my work mail. Work is making the IMAP service go away. The only remaining options will be OWA and proper Exchange Sync, whatever that is. I would really like to be able to use my Android phone for work and home. However, I really really do not want my work contacts to bleed into my personal contacts and vice versa. Similarly, I do not want my personal schedule to bleed into my work schedule and vice versa.

Is there a Google App or something for the phone that will sync with Exchange and **NOT** add my work contacts to my personal contacts, etc? Or does the phone design preclude the multiple-personality effect I'm looking for here?

Advertisement
  2. hondaguy

hondaguy Well-Known Member

hi, i am a new android user but i think i can help a little. i have a rogers branded magic, so it comes with support for activsync out of the box. i am syncing with an exchange server right now (contacts, calendar, and emails). the only issue i have had is that the device doesnt seem to handle appts with reoccurrances very well. what happens is if i add an entry to outlook with reoccurrances it will sync over to my phone and work perfect, but if i try to edit the appt on my phone it will not sync back to my pc. not a big deal for me as this is the only issue i have had.

i added a test contact to my gmail contacts on the gmail.com site. when i performed a manual sync from my device it pulled the contact down to the phone. the test contact shows in my contacts, but it shows next to every contact whether they are an exchange or gmail contact. you do have the ability to only see your exchange contacts, or just your phone contacts, etc by going into the options menu and pressing view. the test contact did not sync over to my exchange server, though, it only shows on my phone.

in calendar the exchange entries and the gmail entries are different colors and you can choose which ones you want to see. you can see them both at the same time, and you can even have entries that are only on your phone and that do not sync with either server.

it all seems to work very well and has been very stable and reliable for me. i am using a hosted exchange account and have had no issues setting it up. they sent me the credentials for my account and it took my a few minutes to enter them into my phone and it worked first time.

good luck

3. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

I am using the app called aContacts and it can do what you are looking for. I have not tried it, as I do not have an exchange account, but at the bottom there is a groups button. If you click this it has Exchange, PC, Starred in Android, System Group: My Contacts and then you can add new groups. I'm not quite sure what the PC group is but.. the point is that it has an exchange group. The standard calendar app can show events on your phone, on your google callendar, on your exchange calendar, or any combination of the three(with different colours for each). However, I'm not sure how this is with google branded phones. I have the Rogers version.

Hope that helps,
    Samuel Maskell

4. DThor

DThor Active Member