• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Android Phones Multi Task?

sleemie

Jun 17, 2009
I think I've narrowed down my choice of phones between the iphone, pre and gonna wait for the MyTouch to add that to the comparison. I can't commit to the pre because after looking at it in the store, that keyboard is just too tiny, and the screen is pretty small also. And I can't commit to the phone because..well, it's an iphone. I do have to say I've liked playing with it when I've held my friends'. I like the way it feels and I love the size of the screen. The lack of multi tasking is one of the big drawbacks, though. I've been following the pre and all I hear about with that thing is multi task multi task multi task. I know one reason they keep bragging about it is a jab at the iphone, but can other top phones, such as the android phones, multi task? In this day and age I would think so, especially to compete with the pre.

Also, is the Mytouch (magic) in the same league as the iphone and pre?

Also, is the Mytouch (magic) in the same league as the iphone and pre?

Of course! They all have their strengths and weaknesses. They're all smartphones and they all can pretty much do things that people expect them to- e-mail, internet, etc. It all boils down to personal preference, unless you have a specific use for it- i.e. exchange, a particalr app for work, etc.

If you want to know what the Mytouch will be like, go to a T-mo store and ask for a G1 with cupcake- OS-wise it will be identical to the mt3g.

The Pre is different in the sense that it's 1.0 OS, hardware, app store. So there could be more bugs to deal with, a longer wait for more apps. Android has been out for almost a year and we all know the iPhone is going on its 3rd generation.

Upvote 0
The iphone has the market share and a big head start, but their closed environment may ultimate limit them. Palm Pre is late and just wants to be another Apple's iphone. What Google android has going for it is openness, just like the internet. If the internet was owned by one company, we'd never get the rapid innovation we see today. And yes since Android is based on Linux, which is a solid multi-tasking operating system. it can also handle multiple apps. Whether that's efficient for the battery is a matter of development practices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones