• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can android replace a windows laptop??

There are tons of photo and video editing apps available for Android. There are many good document applications that will handle Word, Excel, Powerpoint type documents. File management apps abound and there are many good ones. As for your Flash Newspapers... The newest incarnations of the Android OS (beginning with 4.04 ICS,) on most devices, no longer roll out with Flash. Adobe has opted to no longer support Android as a platform. So you would have to find an end around for your newspapers. I have an android phone and an android tablet. I use the tablet to do stuff way more than my laptop now. Do understand that the Android OS is still a work in progress, but the latest incarnations are very good and very flexible and have a ton of developers working on apps to support them.

Hope this helps a bit,
BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
Depends exactly on WHAT you intend to do with your tablet.

For me, no an Android device, or even an iOS device for that matter cannot replace my laptop. Sure there are photo editing and video editing apps for both, but they can't even compete with the capabilities of programs I use like Photoshop and PowerDirector. As it is, the programs on tablets are way too basic for my needs.

If all you need is basic editing, sure an Android can do what you want. But if you intend on actually creating posters, making heavy edits on pictures like lighting, shadowing, or plain creating new images, making video presentations heavy with effects and camera movements etc, tablets can't handle that.

Upvote 0
can android replace a windows laptop? can an android do da video,photo editing like in laptop? can it read flash newspapers??

If you want heavy editing of vids and photo's, then no. Flash for Android is no longer officially supported, so the news site would need to be using HTML5. Your best bet is to stick with a laptop for these things.

Upvote 0
Closest I came to being able to replace my laptop was with the surface RT tablet. That's because surface comes with a full version of Microsoft Office. You can use other applications for Android like Kingsoft, QuickOffice and Polaris to edit the content of a document but you can't edit any special fields. for work I need to edit info fields like the date last revised, revision number, department, and anything that is considered an info field. mobile applications to edit photos and video are very rudimentary in Mobile OS. you get some set filters, can add text overlays, and some cropping or preset resizing filters. With video for you can edit out certain chunks, splice together some video, and add some transitions, but you can't do any sophisticated particle overlays.

I will say there is more support for cloud computing in android than there is in Surface RT right now. There's no drop box app for Surface for instance.

if you want to use a tablet as a laptop replacement, go with one that has a keyboard dock such as the Asus transformer line. You will be able to do most of a laptop's functions as long as it's all Internet based. that means blogging, photo uploading, web apps coded in HTML5. You can then remote into a laptop and use the full desktop OS if you need to be able to access programs for flash, etc.

I avoid iOS for anything other than media consumption because of the limits in accessing the file system. If I want to get any work done I absolutely need to drag and drop files. right now Android has the advantage over Windows 8 because of app development. But the way each operating system works is very similar. This time next year we'll have a real choice between an Android verses a Windows tablet as a true laptop replacement. the main advantage to Android is that the operating system is the same across all form factors of devices. A 4.5 inch phone works the same as a 7 inch tablet and a 10 inch tablet. Add a keyboard and USB port and you have a mobile laptop.

Upvote 0
A tablet can install new fonts yes, but is limited in that sense because in a lot of devices you need to root before you can have new fonts. Internet surfing on a tablet can be limiting because no browser yet has all the features of a desktop browser laptops can use.

All things considered, a laptop will always be better than a tablet. A tablet has better battery life and is lighter. That's just about all the advantages it has.

Upvote 0
Samsung Series 7 tablets run Windows 7. The Asus 808 and HP Envy X2 run desktop grade Windows 8 Pro (can run all desktop programs).

And yes if you are using a desktop level Windows tablet, you can work on it like a laptop. However you will still need in many cases a mouse and keyboard because many Windows programs aren't coded for touch usage. Also, a Windows tablet is more expensive than a laptop. An example is the HP Envy X2. It costs approximately twice as much as an HP Pavilion dm1, but has the same specs.

But again it all depends on what you are planning to do with a tablet. If you will just be reading, browsing the web, watching videos and playing casual games, a tablet is good. But if you plan on typing long documents, doing research, homework and making picture and video editing, a laptop is better.

Upvote 0
Thnx for everyone to the help, Finally I want to know about these things.
1.Can android tablet play any formats of videos and audios like in windows OS?
2.Can Android tablet connect external pen drives, DVD roms?
3.Can Android tablet be updated with newer version Eg. Jelly bean
4.Can Android tablet do office works like in Microsoft Office package?
5.Can Android tablet play flash items in web pages?
Thank You

Upvote 0
1. Yes.

2. External pen drives and external hard drives yes. Printers can be connected wirelessly. DVD readers and writers, no. It also cannot run Windows programs. So if your school makes a program designed to run on a PC or Mac, your tablet won't be able to run it. Some science subjects for example makes you use programs like 3D Anatomy and Physiology. These won't run.

3. Not all. A Nexus tablet will be able to update as long as hardware is not obsolete. A high end tablet like an ASUS Infinity and Galaxy Note 10.1, most likely to get updates as well, just a little late. A cheap random Chinese tablet? No. Basically, as long as the tablet does not say ASUS, Samsung, HTC, Acer, Motorola or LG, no it probably won't get updated.

4. Android tablets do have Office apps allowing you to make Word, PowerPoint and Excel, but not all features of Microsoft Office are available. MS Office 2003 had more features than the best Android Office app.

5. Yes they can, but not all flash content can be played.

Upvote 0
Thnx for everyone to the help, Finally I want to know about these things.
1.Can android tablet play any formats of videos and audios like in windows OS?

Yes, except for some DRM(Digital Restrictions Management) copy protected content, e.g. iTunes or WMA protected content.

2.Can Android tablet connect external pen drives, DVD roms?

Yes, many tablets can connect USB thumb-drives and HDDs. Unsure about optical drives, probably not. It must be almost 10 years since I bought a DVD or CD. And non of my PCs have DVD drives.

3.Can Android tablet be updated with newer version Eg. Jelly bean

Some can, depending on specs, manufacturer and model.

4.Can Android tablet do office works like in Microsoft Office package?

They can do many office productivity apps. Although if there's something proprietary to MS Word or Excel, then no.

5.Can Android tablet play flash items in web pages?

Some devices do have Flash. However Adobe has discontinued supporting mobile Flash, so we can expect to see this requirement going away rather soon.

Thank You

You are welcome. :)

Reactions: magamaruva
Upvote 0
Plenty of rumours about Micro$oft releasing Office on Android soon ... Office for Android, Apple iOS: 'REALLY REAL this time' - report ? The Register ... for one. But see my comments in post #4 ......

"If" you really want to use a tablet as a laptop replacement then you really need a keyboard. Which means something like a Transformer Prime. Which is remarkably like a laptop so maybe get a cheap laptop anyway .....

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones