• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can any former/current Iphone4 users comment on the reception of the Atrix Vs Iphone4

I concur. I would say quality is on par and reception is about the same. The only place I know of where I don't get reception where I live is my gym. I can make and take calls, but I can't get any data. Happened on the iPhone 4 and on the Atrix. What I would say is that the volume on the Atrix is louder and thus makes it easier to hear in certain situations. Edge -> Atrix.

Upvote 0
I've found the Atrix to have terrible reception problems, I lose calls all the time, and lose connection to ATT all together. It sucks, and if it doesn't get better I'm going to iphone on Verizon.

Could be the ATT Network in your area or your atrix is possibly defective?

My Atrix holds calls and reception better than any other ATT phone i've used including blackberries. The Inspire on the other hand was the worst, im guessing because HTC's weak antennas + Aluminum vs plastic construction.

Upvote 0
Could be the ATT Network in your area or your atrix is possibly defective?

My Atrix holds calls and reception better than any other ATT phone i've used including blackberries. The Inspire on the other hand was the worst, im guessing because HTC's weak antennas + Aluminum vs plastic construction.

thats odd, my inspire is way better than my ip4. i dropped so many calls on my ip4 that att wiped my bill for the month. havnt dropped one yet on the inspire.

Upvote 0
I sold my iPhone 4 to pay for my Atrix and lapdock (with 50 left over :D). The iPhone 4 does indeed have call drop issues. My Atrix has yet to drop a call on me within the first two weeks of use while, iirc, my iPhone 4 dropped a few, if not several, calls within the first two weeks of ownership. Browsing on the Atrix 4G also works faster (safari is shit).

Now, I'd place dropped calls in its own category for a problem. In terms of reception I have found my Atrix to receive slightly better than my iPhone 4. My area (south suburbs of Chicago) has excellent reception. On my school campus I would rarely hold a signal on my iPhone 4 but with my Atrix I can manage 1-2 bars.

After a few weeks with my Atrix I can conclude that it performs better than the iPhone 4 in terms of reception and maintaining a call. This can only improve as firmware is released. The ONLY disadvantage to the Atrix that will stand over time is the pentile LCD display. I am very pleased that I parted with my iPhone 4 and went over to the Atrix and Android. Use Craigslist and make the switch easy while making a profit!

Upvote 0
Retired my iPhone 4 to switch to the Atrix. It's really my first Android device I've ever owned (the Captivate doesn't count). I haven't had any dropped calls yet on my Atrix, but I never really had any on my iPhone either. I haven't noticed any signal strength problems. The data speeds are completely disgusting though. 1.5 mbs is just pathetic. My iPhone 4 could pull 5.7 down and 2 up.

I definitely have to say about the Atrix though, that the build quality compared to having an iPhone 4 for six months is...just bad feeling. Cheap plastic next to stainless steel and glass? I don't know how well I like the browser yet, but I can say that I definitely like Dolphin HD better than the stock. I don't like how the option to enable full sites to load on the stock browser is absent though. The one thing that I feel that Android desperately needs is 2D hardware acceleration...

Battery life compared to my iPhone 4 is noticeably worse. Going through a full day of classes with it, sending texts and light browsing-- I'm barely making it to 30%, where on my iPhone I could get about 60% at the end of my day.

Android is by far superior in every way to iOS, so don't think I'm trying to bash on my new baby. I'm never going back to iOS. The Atrix has been a breath of fresh air for me.

Upvote 0
I switched from the iphone 3gs to the atrix and had an iphone 4 on trial in between. I think the atrix get better signal for sure - not a huge difference, but certainly better. I have only had mine a few days, but I have not dropped a single call and my iphone 3gs dropped calls a lot. The call quality is much better.

Upvote 0
I too have had it with the Atrix.
I just returned the third one to AT&T for a full refund.

My Motorola Z9, V3xx, and 3V all get steady 5 bars of reception, no matter how I hold them.
The Atrix usually gets only two, and sometimes 3, but it would frequently drop off the network all together.
I saw the red circle with the slash through it, 54 times between 3:30pm, and 10:30pm. Yeah I counted them.

The first phone was thought to be a lemon...the second was a fluke,...but the third was conclusive proof AT&T, Motorola, or Android has a real engineering problem with this phone.
(I had the SAME situation with a Samsung Captivate last year, that's why I say maybe Android.)

No one seems able, or willing, to solve the reception issue.

In the store we placed 4 Atrix's side by side on the counter, and all were getting 2 bars.

While we were talking, at least 2 of the phones went completely off the network.
The AT&T sales associates were dumbfounded as to the poor reception issue, and said that no one had complained before. (Yeah, right, I thought.)

Yet here it was, right in front of all of them.
Hard to argue your point of this phone NOT having the problem, when ALL of them were doing the same thing.

I live in northeastern Illinois about midway between Milwaukee and Chicago, and according to AT&T this area is saturated with towers and signal, so anything less than 4 bars, let alone dropping off the network, just shouldn't happen.

For comparison, my Z9 has NEVER dropped a call here, and the least I've ever seen is 4 bars.

So which phone is smarter?
The one that actually works well as a phone, or the one that does computer things, but makes for a poor excuse when it comes to making calls?

I need a phone I can rely on, especially in an emergency, and the Atrix needs work before I would bet my life, and property, on it.

Upvote 0
I've only made a few calls thus far, and they seem fine, i.e. the same as my iPhone 4...

But, it clearly sounds better than the Inspire (I have that one, too)...
Does it have a better signal than the inspire I am on my second Inspire and am getting very frustrated because we are in a small town and the only place it gets a good signal is in the area where the AT&T store is. Oh yea I hate the battery life on the inspire. I am thinking about going to the Atrix or back to my BB Torch? Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones