can anyone suggest a decent Android?

Last Updated:

1. Sandgoose

Sandgoose Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did post in introductions but I figure post again here where it will probably get seen.

I was wondering if anyone could help I'm looking for a decent android phone (lower / mid-range) budget probably upto

Advertisement
  2. Sandgoose

nobody ?:( Iphone it is then ...

... j/k I managed to find the Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 for

3. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Hmm. Can't you get a phone free on contract? I thought that was what they did in the UK? But if not, consider:

Sony Ericsson X10 Mini:

Sandgoose likes this.
  4. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

I believe the cliq prefers to be called the dext across the pond. I am not farmiliar with phone pricing in the UK, or if you are looking for on or off contract pricing, but the Milestone or Milestone XT would be excellent choices. As would the legend or desire

Sandgoose likes this.
  5. grainysand

!=

6. MonmouthDroid

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. If it was saying that those phones are over 200 pounds, as i said in my post, i'm not familiar with UK phone pricing. The Droid (closest thing we have in the US) is $200 on contract, which is roughly 100 pounds.
    If it is agreement, thanks?

Either way, you should be more clear in the meaning of your posts.

7. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Well-Known Member

HTC Wildfire should be suitable for you then. If not the Samsung Galaxy Spica should do just fine. It's becoming immensely popular in singapore ever since it got the 2.1 update. My sister just got one too. ;)

Sandgoose likes this.
  8. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

the != syntax means "not equal to" in most programming/scripting languages

9. MonmouthDroid

thank your for explaining for those of us unfamiliar with such things :D

10. grainysand

In the UK, you get free phones with contracts. If he's paying for a phone at all, chances are he's buying unlocked to use with a carrier of his choice. Or for traveling. Ipso facto your suggestions are incompatible with his price range.

11. Sandgoose

my 18 month contract ends with O2 in a few months so I could renew but I was also considering one of the new pay as you go deals with data options.

I currently pay

12. grainysand

Oh, 1.6 functions fine--but I'd recommend not accepting anything less than that; 1.5 is pretty ancient by now. You'll be missing out on quite a few apps and features, though. I can't recommend the Cliq to anyone in good faith. It's considered mediocre all around.

What I would suggest is getting the Acer Liquid, root it, and put a 2.1 or 2.2 ROM on it. High-end specs on mid-range budget and versatile.

Sandgoose likes this.
  13. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

You could always go for the Motorola Milestone. I'm not sure how much it is over there but here it's BOGO $99.99 with a 2-year contract.

14. Nex_1

Nex_1 Well-Known Member

Acer liquid is the best choice ... or you can always get the square toy (AKA FlipOut)

15. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Bang for buck, Liquid I would have to say is best. You won't find a phone with a 3.5" WVGA 800x480 display, Snapdragon processor (though underclocked/undervolted to 768MHz) for cheaper.

Official (an official 2.1 leak is available and can be installed without rooting) 2.1 should be coming soon so even if you don't plan to root, you would get it.

Also Liquid E recently released and had 512 megs of ram (A1 has 256) as well as Eclair installed (A1 comes with Donut but as stated, will get Eclair soon).

2.2 is available (with root) but far from complete (I tried it out and would say that it is in an alpha stage).

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

16. MonmouthDroid

Very interesting how you guys get phones over there. Pretty different than what we do.

17. Sandgoose

I would like to thank you all for the suggestions :) and do a little update

In the end I went with the x10 mini do not regret it, text and email is no where near as bad as my old windows mobile device a good upgrade all round

MonmouthDroid how do you get phones? cant be that different can it?

here we have 2 options pay & go where you pay for a sim locked phone outright and then top it up

18. MonmouthDroid

We have to sign 24 month contracts and still pay roughly $200 for a high end phone like a Droid of experia. Some phones are not available off contract. The only carrier that has all their phone with no contract is T-Mobile and you still pay $50 a month minimum. On the other carriers you don't get any cheaper of a plan whether or not you sign a contract. You still pay anywhere from $70-$100 for one person.

Sandgoose likes this.