Support Can copy files from phone to one PC but not another PC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ericsbcn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. ericsbcn

ericsbcn Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    When I connect my DX to a computer with the USB cable, I usually use "PC Mode" or "Windows Media Sync" instead of "USB Mass Storage". Because (a) then I can still access the SD card on the phone, and (b) I don't need to remember to unmount the SD card from the PC before disconnecting the cable.

The strange thing is that on my work computer, I can copy files from the phone to the computer no problem. But on my home computer, when I try to copy a file, nothing happens. (I have Windows XP on both computers). I see the SD card directory tree in Explorer on the PC. I drag a file from one of the SC card folders into a folder on my PC. But then nothing happens.

If I use "USB Mass Storage", then it works well okay.

Any ideas why?

Advertisement

2. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Aircraft Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    Windows media sync is probably tagging the files such that it knows what computer it came from for Digital Rights Management (DRM).

Windows is big on DRM. I noticed the other day I had a notice that I didn't update my rights or something to that effect. I use mass storage mode for copying stuff, unless I am targeting the phone memory. then I use PC mode.