Can cricket save me from Verizon rape?

1. androidFan11

androidFan11 New Member

I got my Droid X from wirefly with a new contract from Verizon. I went from a flip-flop phone and a $50/month contract to a smart phone and a $200+/month contract with Verizon's pay-a-month-ahead deal.

Now, i'm hearing that I can flash my phone to Cricket. They have a $55 plan which looks very attractive. My question is, would my final bill ACTUALLY be around $55/month? I already signed up for $80/m and got screwed. Also, would Cricket reps flash my Droid X to their service? I'm a soft engineer myself and pretty much a huge geek, but i'm not very confident doing this myself. Thanks for any help in advance!

Advertisement
  2. flash35

flash35 Member

I'm a Cricket Franchise owner. Cricket unlike other cell phone providers does not charge you all kinds of crazy fees. Cricket $55/m is actually $55/m plus tax so your monthly bill would always be under $60/m. Cricket Corp stores do not flash phones, you would have to find a Individual franchise owner who has the software to flash phones, which not many do. My store does flash phones, you can do a google search who flash phones in your area, search craigslist or ebay of people flashing phones to cricket, boost and metro. I have many happy customers who have flashed there Sprint and Verizon phones to Cricket
  3. davebolton

davebolton Member

If you don't mind my asking, how did you end up with a $200 bill from VZW when you thought it would be $80. Was there something deceptive about the contract. Or was it just the first month crap. The reason I ask is because I currently have service through VZW and pay like 235 for 5 phones. I am currently thinking about going back to cricket for an android phone.

Thanks
  4. davebolton

davebolton Member

I thought I would add another note since this is kinda related to Verizon. I just found out that none of Verizon's android phones are compatible with my family plan. I would have to get an individual plan to upgrade to an android phone.
  5. teh_dude

teh_dude Well-Known Member

I'm with MetroPCS, and I'm happy with the billing and generally have no complaints. They're actually slightly cheaper for the same essential smartphone/android plan than Cricket at a truly flat $50/month, taxes already included. However, Cricket has 3G, right? At least for the next few years from what I understand?

As you can see under my name, I have an LG Optimus M, which is, suffice it to say, the same damn thing as the Optimus C you sell. Is it flashable over to Cricket? It's rooted and customized as all get out (ROM is still based off the original Metro ROM though).

And also, does Cricket do the no contract month to month thing like Metro, or is it contract?

EDIT: Also, I'm asking this under the idea that I probably wouldn't be able to do this anytime soon, as it would be a roadtrip for me plus the slight bill increase, and I'm pretty broke right now lol. It would be a roadtrip because I'm in the DFW area in Texas, and the nearest Cricket stores are down in the Houston area. So I'd go down, get flashed to a Houston number since long distance doesn't matter anymore anyway, and then go back up to DFW because Cricket has coverage there.