• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can DROID do this?

Dmags

Nov 25, 2009
I was reading a artical in the May issue of Popular Science, pg.80. It is talking about using a GPS unit, a dashboard-mounted camera and special software that once downloaded to a computer can create a photographic record of a road trip.
Basically the camera takes a picture at set intervals and links the GPS units position so when both units are downloaded to a computer you can then use Google Maps to show pictures taken during your trip.
It seems to me that all the parts needed to do this already exist inside the Droid.
Is there a app for this?

After posting my question, I spent some more time searching for an app that already exist that can do this. I ran across a app called "DailyRoads Voyager" in the Droid Market.
this app does alot of what I was hoping for:
1. preset snapshot frequency.
2. video recording where the user can predefine how much memory to use before it begins to rewrite over the oldest recorded video, kind of in a loop.
3. so far i've only been able to upload the pics and video to DailyRoads website, where you can set your privacy to private, friends, or everyone. this is in beta so it appears that there are more uploading options planned in the furture.

So, this app so far is doing a good job. Here are some more improvements in this or anyother app that is doing a geo-tag for pics or videos.

1. Allow the app to auto upload the photos or stream a video in realtime.
2. Allow the upload to be sent to google maps.
3. I'd like to see this type of app work so smooth that if I'm on a road trip, my wife or kids could pull up their google account and they could see a realtime map being generated as I drive with new pics or video being updated continually.

Maybe this is too much to ask for? I'm not sure, I just know it would be really cool to have the ability.

Upvote 0
Thanks for mentioning DailyRoads Voyager! I am glad you consider it useful. We are continuously improving it, and your suggestions are welcome.

One of our long-term goals, is to allow people to easily share their geotagged videos/photos, and your improvement suggestion #3 is pretty close to this. Currently videos are displayed on dailyroads.com one by one, and not in a sequence, so your family can't yet sit back and see where you are and what you've seen while driving. But, the app already allows automatic upload of photos and videos.

As you've seen, there are other upload options planned for future versions. And when this will be implemented, the app will send the corresponding latitude/longitude for each uploaded video. If a video uploaded to Youtube has this geographic info attached, then it should appear on Google Maps, too.

There are plenty of features planned, but right now we are focusing on making Voyager compatible with a wide selection of Android phones, running Android 1.5 or later. But, feel free to suggest other improvements, too.

Thanks,
Robert

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones