• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can Dx output streaming video via HDMI?

Davoo

Jul 18, 2010
Can the Dx output anything other than pics/videos captured with the phone? My Dx is in the mail and was wondering if I should buy a cable because I want to use it to stream youtube or other video content from the phone to tv. If it can not be done now, is that a hardware issue or a software issue that could be changed later? Also so I can control the phone while it is connected to the tv I wanted to get a 15' cable. This is the only one I see but it does not say if it is type D or not. Does that matter? Amazon.com: Amzer Micro HDMI High Speed Male to HDMI Male Cable for HTC EVO 4G (15 Feet): Cell Phones & Service

It will not output youtube over HDMI. I have seen positive reports that it will output videos that you copy onto the X so it isn't completely crippled like some believed. I am planning to do some testing when my cable arrives and was going to start a post in the near future with some of the results I've gotten from several encoding tests that I have run.

Upvote 0
I'm sure Verizon doesn't want people circumventing their you-can-tether-but-you'll-do-it-our-way-and-pay-extra-and-be-grateful stance. A seemingly competent associate told me he thinks Verizon will go to a truly unlimited plan to accommodate people who would like to use their phone as their home internet source. Sixty or seventy dollars for that plan is both a likely and reasonable price.

If the hardware allows it, perhaps those who buy the above theoretical plan could be provided the software necessary.

Or maybe a market app will cover this. Any developers know if that can be done?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones