can evo video chat with iphone?

Last Updated:

1. 97c5driver

97c5driver Member This Topic's Starter

does fring work between the evo & the iphone? if not, is there any program that does?

i know 1 person with an evo, and a million with the iphone.

Advertisement
  2. evojoel

evojoel Well-Known Member

They can't transmit, not sure if they can receive, although I highly doubt it.

3. NvrEnough

NvrEnough Well-Known Member

Yes. I just tryed it. Both need fring

4. 03machme

03machme Well-Known Member

at the moment i dont think there is an app that will let you video with iphone people plus the new iphone isnt out till later in the month anyways. maybe after someone like skype comes out with an app it might work who knows

5. NvrEnough

NvrEnough Well-Known Member

I just tryed it. Iphone can see me using fring. I cannot see them obviously.

6. Jebus Christ

Jebus Christ Well-Known Member

facetime is apparently open source. If someone wanted they could make an app for it.

7. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

I really hope that there will be a mainstream video chat between iPhone and EVO users.

8. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

There needs to be one unified program that works on all platforms with front facing cameras in order for video chat to really take off. (Oh, and Steve needs to make the iPhone's work over 4G kthnxbye)

9. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member

Haha, agreed and agreed (I was surprised when he didn't say iPhone 4 was 4G).

But really, if they can't get all phones (with fron facing camera) to work together, it's pointless IMO. I don't know a single person with the Evo.

Hell, I barely know anyone with an iPhone... come to think of it, only one person.

Still, one is better than none.

10. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

AT&T has no LTE 4G network done at the moment, that would be a huge waste of $, and Apple is not an early adapter.

Skype is going to make both phones work togeather, and I'm sure the others will by the time the iPhone launches.

11. shokher99

shokher99 Member

So far i have been able to chat fring to skype on a computer with the video working. Skype's app doesn't seem to want to do video for me but I imagine that will change. The one thing I have noticed is that fring to fring calling has very little lag even on 3g but fring to skype has a significant delay even on wifi. I imagine its because of having to go through extra servers, but who knows. My wife is greeting the iphone4 the day it comes out so I hope they are compatible!

12. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

The iPhone 4 will not be compatible to video chat to anything besides another iPhone 4. I watched the entire WWDC conference and for 2010, Videochatting on iPhone 4 will only be through Facetime and Wifi, and only from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. Now, when will you be able to chat over 3G, who knows? When will you be able to chat with people who aren't using Facetime, who knows? Either/or could come at very different times (remember how long it took Apple to app MMS messaging and multi-tasking?). I tried calling by friend's 3GS and he said he could see and hear me but I couldn't see him... only hear him. Interestingly though, I was able to Fring video call my friend who has a Droid on Verizon even though it only has a rear facing camera as well... So maybe it has to do more with Android devices than others. Idk...

And btw, Fring worked beautifully for me from Evo to Skype (PC) over 3G was almost lagless video-wise and 1 second delay for audio to my phone. It was very impressive and cool... I showed a bunch of people at work and they thought it was amazing and really cool. :D

13. shokher99

shokher99 Member

That sucks that face(plant) time works only with Itself but I think its not to far fetched to expect an android app that works with it. And that's just what I need, another app with yet another login and password. Ugh

14. 97c5driver

well i just realized how stupid my question was.

if the iphone 3g models have no front facing camera, how in the hell can i video chat with the,?!

now i need to convince everyone to get an evo!

15. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

my dads iphone got my qik video call. it was extremely laggy though and about a 15 second delay.

16. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Well someone will have to come out with a universal software plan for these video phones now. They will be useless if one brand or type cant communicate with another. If the feature isn't universal then its just a gimmick to me then.

17. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

If Qik makes an app for the new iPhone 4 they should be able to.. otherwise doubtful (for two-way)

18. e1allen

e1allen Member

What's the point of having compatible platforms, that's dumb.

19. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

what? so you're saying that someone with an iphone should not be able to video chat with somone who has an evo? am i not understanding what you just said?

20. 97c5driver

I think he was being sarcastic.