• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Gmail on Phone "Send As" different email like Desktop Version?

johnbrain

May 31, 2010
Just got my Eris. So far it really kicks a$$. But I do miss Windows Live since I'm a hotmail user (no switch to gmail comments please ;) )

My desktop gmail through the web is set up to "Send As" my hotmail account, but if I send a new email via my phone, it sends it from my gmail username.

I did a search and it was inconclusive. Does anyone know of a configuration to send new mail with the phones native email as a "Send As?"

If not, does K-9 only poll gmail or is it a live sync?

Thanks.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but so far so good. I used swype on my Imagio. Nice to see it around here too.

Interesting question. I've always just assumed that since I have my desktop set up to send and a different email account (which works seamlessly by the way) that it worked that way on the phone as well. Testing things out now.

No, it works from my phone too.

My gmail account settings:

Accounts and imports > Send mail as > Make sure the account you want is default
Accounts and imports > Send mail as > Edit info of default account > Go through the wizard and make sure you are sending from and have the correct information for your SMTP server
Accounts and imports > Send mail as > When receiving a message > Always reply from default address

Upvote 0
Just got my Eris. So far it really kicks a$$. But I do miss Windows Live since I'm a hotmail user (no switch to gmail comments please ;) )

My desktop gmail through the web is set up to "Send As" my hotmail account, but if I send a new email via my phone, it sends it from my gmail username.

I did a search and it was inconclusive. Does anyone know of a configuration to send new mail with the phones native email as a "Send As?"

If not, does K-9 only poll gmail or is it a live sync?

Thanks.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but so far so good. I used swype on my Imagio. Nice to see it around here too.

Just use the "Mail" application to setup your Windows live mail account. In fact, only your email and password is required, as the phone will apply all the needed settings (incoming/outgoing server settings etc) after verifying your username/password.

I believe it defaults to leave mail on the server" so that it does not delete the mail from your online live mail storage.

Upvote 0
I was never able to figure it out when I tried. So I deleted the extra account from my gmail and added it under the regular mail account on the phone so I could send.

My phone gmail still checks that email though, so now I get them all TWICE. Ugh.

Have you tried going to Settings>Accounts & Sync, tap your gmail account and then uncheck "Sync Gmail" under data and synchronization? That should prevent the phone from checking Gmail for the Gmail app, allowing you to receive your Gmail in the "Mail" as you have setup.

My Gmail is not my primary email, so I have that sync unchecked, and it prevents receiving (and notifications) of Gmail (in the Gmail specific app).

Upvote 0
Have you tried going to Settings>Accounts & Sync, tap your gmail account and then uncheck "Sync Gmail" under data and synchronization? That should prevent the phone from checking Gmail for the Gmail app, allowing you to receive your Gmail in the "Mail" as you have setup.

My Gmail is not my primary email, so I have that sync unchecked, and it prevents receiving (and notifications) of Gmail (in the Gmail specific app).

I have Gmail Syncing because I use the app for gmail [personal mail], I originally had Gmail setup to check my work pop3 email as well. Once I found out I could not selectively send from the gmail app, I deleted the work account from gmail and set up the 'mail' app for work.

Gmail is still checking both though.

Upvote 0
I have Gmail Syncing because I use the app for gmail [personal mail], I originally had Gmail setup to check my work pop3 email as well. Once I found out I could not selectively send from the gmail app, I deleted the work account from gmail and set up the 'mail' app for work.

Got it, sorry, I think my eyes did some selective reading in your post !:)

Upvote 0

So gmail is checking both but you're just not syncing it on the phone? I think that is what i read. I'll just have to get used to POP3 for the time being. Windows Live didn't always sync right on my Imagio so I had to delete emails with my email desktop at home anyways.

I heard Hotmail will be Exchange soon as they reinvest in the brand.

Upvote 0
So gmail is checking both but you're just not syncing it on the phone? I think that is what i read. I'll just have to get used to POP3 for the time being. Windows Live didn't always sync right on my Imagio so I had to delete emails with my email desktop at home anyways.

I heard Hotmail will be Exchange soon as they reinvest in the brand.

No, I deleted the work account from gmail because I could not send as my work email through gmail [on the phone, selectively depending on what I was responding to], but despite that fact the phone continues to download them through gmail :(

It ALSO is downloading them through the mail app that I set up so that I could respond to customers.

I guess is what I was getting at is hopefully if you already set it up through gmail you won't get that bug :eek:

Clear as mud I know :(

Upvote 0
I run separate accounts for all my e-mail as the "send as" on most e-mail systems gets blocked by multiple spam filters (the sender doesn't match the address and the reverse DNS lookup doesn't work) and it all looks the same to me anyhow when it comes in on my Droid.

I used to administer my own Exchange server to handle all of this, but then I found something that isn't highly advertised by Google... Their version of Exchange, the smaller one (Standard), is actually free! Needless to say, the offer of free finally pried me away from my Exchange server for good. Maybe I'll wipe it and install a Linux distro to play around with :D (I've never been big into Linux)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones