can I activate a phone without activating cell service?

Last Updated: 2010-10-18 15:09:20
  1. buffettgirl

buffettgirl Well-Known Member

I was given a phone which I'd like to test out but not activate the cell service on it. (just use it to download apps via wifi etc) Can I somehow activate this phone (moto droid r2d2 version) without having to deactivate my current dInc?

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

You can skip the activation part.

On the green android guy screen, touch the 4 corners (clockwise) and you can bypass this screen.
    buffettgirl likes this.
  3. PatHoge

PatHoge Well-Known Member

...if you're not gonna use it, can I have it? :D
  4. buffettgirl

ahh thank you, thank you!
  5. buffettgirl

good try. :) I am trying to decide if I want to switch from my dInc. First impressions - it's MUCH heavier.
  6. PatHoge

PatHoge Well-Known Member

Oh I see. :) Yeah if I had the choice I'd probably go with the Incredible.
  7. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

fixed that for you :)

i would probably go with the INC as well...but only because it will get further updates, where the Droid is probably at the latest update it will ever see officially.
  8. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

I believe she has the R2-D2 Droid, which is newer than the Dinc and has all of the hardware prerequisites for the upcoming Gingerbread update. The R2-D2 Droid should be kept up to date for at least a year.
  9. buffettgirl

hahaah.. ok, 'study" - I do agree, the added heft does make it feel more sturdy in my hand. however, I think(maybe I'm wrong) that the slide out keyboard is attributing to that heft. I don't like the keyboard at all - I'm so used to the touch keypad, but, the fact that swype is installed ♥♥ ...

ok, I need to get myself back involved - gingerbread?
  10. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Gingerbread is the code name for version 3.0 of android that is due to come out around the end of the year.
  11. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Exactly. Its the next update after Froyo. (They are named in alphabetical order: donut, eclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, etc.) The only catch with Gingerbread is that there are minimum hardware requirements to run it. You need at least 1.0GHz processor and 512MB of ram. We can OC to 1GHz but the ram part may be more difficult. We cannot increase it, but we may be able to virtually add more ram similar to how compcache works. I don't know how this would be done though, but I'm sure some very smart Droid devs can figure it out :D
  12. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Gingerbread = 3.0
    Honeycomb = 3.5
    IceCream = 4.0

That's the latest on the name schemes for android.