• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I ask a text notification question?

Jenn37

Lurker
Jul 10, 2011
Please forgive a few noob questions..:)

Have the Optimus C. Love it but...... When I am working the phone is obviously in lock/sleep mode. When I receive a text it does not light up therefore I have no way of knowing without checking it all the time. Is there a way to make it light up and alert me of a message?

And why are there SO many browsers, I dont understand the differences. "Browser", "Google Search", "Mobile Web", "voice Search" Google Search at the top of my main screen"?? And lord knows what Home Selector is even for.

After reading some posts here, I wont even attempt to ask how to remove some junk I dont want. lol

Thank you for taking the time to answer my silly questions..:D

Jenn

The stock messaging program has nothing to light up the phone when you receive messages. You can download SMS Pro from the market and it will have a message popup everytime you receive a text. Similar to how the iPhone popups when receiving a text. I actually found it annoying and just check my phone from time to time.

Your phone only has the stock browser installed. Google search opens the browser when you search for something. You can delete any junk you want off your desktop. But the stock apps and bloatware (Cricket's appsand pre-installed games) are not uninstallable.

If you download any new home lanchers such as Go Launcher Ex or Launcher Pro (these are customizable home launchers), Home Selector makes it easy to switch from one launcher to another.

:)

Upvote 0
Thank you. The text message app you suggested does exactly what I want. :) I'm still not sure why I have 5 ways to open up a browser. :thinking:

I did install a new one. Dolphin or something? I like it. It seems to be the one that pops up when I use the voice search thing. So is there a way to hide all the google browser links all over my main screen?

Also you say that bloatware is not uninstallable.. Is it hard for someone who knows nothing about this to remove them? Is there a way I can simply hide the icons I wont use? Maybe even stop them from running? So many pre installed apps I will never use. It bugs me to even look at them.

One more thing.. Do I need to install one of those security/virus apps I see? Recommendations?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer me..

Upvote 0
Thank you. The text message app you suggested does exactly what I want. :) I'm still not sure why I have 5 ways to open up a browser. :thinking:

I did install a new one. Dolphin or something? I like it. It seems to be the one that pops up when I use the voice search thing. So is there a way to hide all the google browser links all over my main screen?

Also you say that bloatware is not uninstallable.. Is it hard for someone who knows nothing about this to remove them? Is there a way I can simply hide the icons I wont use? Maybe even stop them from running? So many pre installed apps I will never use. It bugs me to even look at them.

One more thing.. Do I need to install one of those security/virus apps I see? Recommendations?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer me..

They are all uninstallable however for a novice user such as yourself I advise against it. It involves rooting which is a simple process but there's plenty of information in this forum already.

It's not "5 different ways to open a browser". Cricket has their bloatware wap browser to their site and then it's the normal browser. You should maybe try a google search on the basics of android itself and come back to us.

Upvote 0
Yes, simply press down on the icon or widget you do not want on your home screen and the trash can will appear at the bottom after a moment. Just drag the icon/widget into the trash can and release :)

I'm also a new user so I think I know what Jenn means.

I can only drag icons/widgets that I have downloaded to the trash, not the pre-installed crap. Such as Uno. Pressing down on the pre-installed icons, simply duplicates them to the top of the screen. So Im going to go read the book again and again... :D

Upvote 0
I'm also a new user so I think I know what Jenn means.

I can only drag icons/widgets that I have downloaded to the trash, not the pre-installed crap. Such as Uno. Pressing down on the pre-installed icons, simply duplicates them to the top of the screen. So Im going to go read the book again and again... :D

The pre-installed stuff you cannot delete unless you root your phone. I do not recommend doing it yourself and I have not done it myself either. I know i will screw something up if I do lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones