Can I buy an Eris on eBay and use it on VZW?General

Last Updated:

1. keving

keving Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want an Eris now to hold me over until something better is released, but I hate to burn up my NE2 for it. I am looking at buying a used on (ebay, Craigslist, etc...) and I would like to know if this will be able to be activated on my current account.
    Is this a problem? Any suggestions or anything to avoid?

Advertisement
  2. BiscoJosh

BiscoJosh Member

should be find. just make sure its from a reputable seller who explicitly states its a VZW phone. Only problem is that you cant get insurance through VZW if you buy it third party like ebay.

3. keving

Thanks for the info.

4. jdub71

jdub71 Well-Known Member

It's pretty common to ask for the ESN to make sure its clear. The seller should be willing to give it to you.

5. smacky

smacky Banned

I always wondered that too when it came to phones.

Switching it up real quick, say you're on AT&T and you wanted the G1, since they use sim cards, is it merely a quick switch of the sim card and you're good to go?

6. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

That's the biggest issue right there. I've seen plenty of stories where people bought on Ebay but couldn't activate the phone because it was either stolen or money was owed on the previous account.

7. whewstoosae

whewstoosae Well-Known Member

I'm currently using a phone that came from eBay, you just have to make sure that the phone has a clear esn and that it has been activated at least once because if not the phone will be in a "purgatory" state. The seller I bought from was very helpful with this and it was a smooth transaction.

8. google123

google123 Well-Known Member

That's what I did, and yes, it works just fine......:D

9. Raziken

Raziken Member

10. vapordub

vapordub Well-Known Member

To those buying on Ebay/Craigslist ... is the phone still covered under warranty?

Say, the phone takes a dump on you a month in, can you go to the Verizon store (assuming the phone you bought was a Verizon phone) and get it repaired/replaced?

11. Raziken

Raziken Member

Sure you can, but It'll cost you.

12. vapordub

Sigh ... care to elaborate?

13. smacky

smacky Banned

14. Raziken

Raziken Member

When you buy the phone, VZW extends you the option to have insurance. If you buy your phone 3rd party (ebay, craigslist, etc.) you have only the option to have your phone repaired (for a fee, since you can't get insurance 3rd party) or have HTC replace it, providing it falls under the conditions set in the warranty.

Typically GSM phones work on GSM networks, although you'll have feature locks. CDMA phones also typically work on CDMA networks, providing you make the necessary changes needed for that specific network.

15. vapordub

So, buying an Eris on ebay/craigslist would be taking a pretty big risk then?

I always fear the worst. :)

16. Raziken

Raziken Member

Depending on your level of fear. Typically the only issue I think would be a battery. Other than that, don't take a hammer to the phone or drop it, you should be fine.

17. vapordub

Cool, thank you very much for the info. I'm looking at a few there "have never been opened" so hopefully I can get one of those.

18. Bxrider11

Bxrider11 Well-Known Member

I just recen tly sold my Eris on ebay and I have purchaseed phones from there. Most good sellers will give you the ESN number If you request it and VZW will let you know if the phone is good.

As for insurance, if you have it on the phone line prior to buying a phone from a 3rd party then the phone is covered as if you purchased the phone from VZW. I know this cause I brought a BB Storm of ebay and got a replace from Assuron for $50.

19. vapordub

Cool, good to know.

The phones in question are located in my city, so the plan is to meet at a Verizon store to activate/make the exchange.

20. smacky

smacky Banned

So I could hack a Sprint Hero to run on Verizon?

21. arock

arock Well-Known Member

As far as I know yes, but there are limitations. From what I have heard in the past is that certain features may or may not work depending on the network. And OTA updates are definately not gonna happen. Never unlocked a cdma phone so not sure on the difficulty level of that either. Id imagine its not as easy as gsm's or we would have alot more people with unlocked phones on verizon/sprint.

22. smacky

smacky Banned

Wow. Music to my ears. Sprint has some of the lowest prices on voice and text bundles, so if I got the Eris unlocked for Sprint, it'd be pretty awesome. Not that I plan to, but what VZW features, save for the OTAs, would I be missing? Get 2.1 and be set.

23. keving

Good info folks.

Now, what is an ESN# and where is it on an Eris?

24. smacky

smacky Banned

Turn off your phone. Pull off the case, remove the battery. The first like should begin with "S/N." That should be it.

EDIT: Just noticed something weird, and off-topic. When you open your cover, make sure the phone is upside-down, with the micro USB port facing to the left. At the bottom left, just below the USB port, does it say "void" in that tiny circular opening? I dunno what the hell it is, but I never did anything silly with my phone. Actually, never noticed it before now. You guys got this, too?

25. blitersety

blitersety Member

Yeah, it's just a sticker that covers one of the screws on the back of the phone to prevent people from taking it apart and messing around inside of it. If that sticker is removed, I believe it voids the warranty. Similar things are done with hard drives and other electronics.