• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I cast my phone to TV or Laptop without Chromecast or other gadgets???

To your TV?

Nope. Not unless you can find a TV with Android TV built-in. The only two common casting protocols are Miracast (not available on all phones), used by Roku, Fire TV and others, and DIAL, used by Chromecast. Samsung and HTC also have their own wireless HDMI protocols that only work with their TV adapters.

If your phone has an MHL port you can connect directly to your TV with a simple HDMI adapter.

To your laptop?

Absolutely not.

But you may be able to run a VNC server on your phone (check the Play Store) and a viewer on your laptop. I honestly don't remember if audio would be supported or not.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
If you have a home network and a smart tv, or semi smart tv (ethernet connection) you can stream from your phone. Nearby Devices setting.
Yeah, you can stream some media already on your phone with DLNA.

A few phones have a DLNA server built-in, but you can search for one on the Play Store, there are quite a few out there.

TV makers call it by a number of names and its setup varies by maker. On mine, it's Media Player.

Pictures ought to work very reliably.

They all advertise that videos will as well but usually that's hit or miss, as few makers implement the full standard or support many codecs (type of encoding used for audio and video streams). I've rarely seen it work for video.

Regardless, it's free to try, the apps are easy to use, and if that's what you want to be able to do, it's definitely worth trying.

Good suggestion, thank you! I was too focused on the term casting. DLNA isn't casting, can't be used for as much, but is perfectly fine for a number of users.

Check out "iMediaShare Personal"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bianor.amspersonal

There are others that are more versatile and cost a little bit but I've used that one, and it works as a basic DLNA server. If your TV is going to work for what you want, that will let you know before you pay for anything fancy. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones