Can i change my ip from uk to usa to use google tv as american ?

Last Updated:

1. yamin2000

yamin2000 Member This Topic's Starter

HI
    I am in UK and i want to use google tv as american user .Is there a way i can change my IP from UK to USA ? and the streaming would be the same?

Advertisement
  2. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv Member

Without having units available to test yet, I don't think anyone knows for sure. The only thing that may not be ready yet is setting up the EPG. It's possible that the unit will work fine where you are, but that it won't know anything about your local TV channels/cable/satellite options yet.

3. yamin2000

Thanks
    I do not want it to watch cable i will use it to watch online tv only
    I order mine ,but i am tring to find way to watch aamerican tv ,maybe by using VPN but i think the speed would decrease

4. slipper

slipper Member

Im curious to know also. I will be moving overseas soon.

5. yamin2000

any update???

6. nathan42100

nathan42100 New Member

In THEORY, you could use an american proxy which fools servers to thinking that your request is originating from the US. It works by channeling traffic THROUGH the proxy, so I don't know if it would work well for streaming. Google may have also blocked specific proxy servers, but you'd probably have to set the proxy up on the router (not the device) for it to work properly.

PS- I DON'T have a GoogleTV product.

7. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

The other thing is that a lot of the streaming sites know about these proxies too and have banned their IP ranges. I know hulu is notorious for this but that may be ok hulu doesn't work even in the USA on googletv.

8. f117f117f117677

f117f117f117677 New Member

Maybe we should wait:

UK is soon, when is china

9. StrifeJester

The UK will be probably the next available release, China might be never the way the Great Firewall is. Speed from a VPN will depend on the service you use. There are some good VPNs out there offer decent bandwidth but many of these come with a price. It will probably also require setting up another box to the routing, something like a Squid Proxy comes to mind. The plus to using a proxy is that you can cache more static images decreasing the amount of data that has to load for most sites.

When a friend of mine was in the Military he used StrongVPN.com is VPN service, offers security and anonymity for personal use Said it seemed to work OK for streaming.

10. StrifeJester

Oh yeah they offer a speed test chart and some of them also offer L2TP which would negate the need for a proxy since your router would have a full time connection to their servers.