Can i change out or upgrade my laptop cards

Last Updated:

1. Sainix

Sainix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

compaq presario v5000

can i change out or upgrade sound or video cards in this laptop, bought it off someone and one guy told me this laptop can have the video card changed. looking into dj stuff and would kinda like to use this laptop for it, so would i be able to change the sound card?

Advertisement
  2. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

Some laptops you can. Your best bet would to google your laptop's model# and get all the specs and such that way.

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

You would have to know the exact model number of your particular V5000. Apparently some do have a separate graphics card which can be upgraded. However it's likely to be extremely expensive.

As for sound, you can always get an external USB sound module. Beringer, M-audio and Creative all do some really excellent USB sound IO devices. These will nearly always have a much better SQ and capabilites than whats inside the laptop.

Sainix likes this.
  4. Sainix

Sainix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you =] this helps a lot i am looking into buying one now

5. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

You might also want to download the repair manual fro this model, which compaq probably has online (I know Dell does for their machines). Also join one of the compaq tech forums, where a lot of guys who mod their rigs hang out. you should be able to find out exactly what you can or cannot do with your particular rig and what compatible cards exist, if any.

I did exactly this with a Dell mini 1012, and turned it into a little monster of a machine. I'm now in the middle of doing the same to an old Dell 700m.

6. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

Some laptops do allow for swappable video cards newbie2010.

7. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

That's not true, As has been said, some laptops have soldered components, while others have plugged in and snapped/screwed in place components. Many laptops have a mixture of the two.