• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I copy my friends /system/app directory to my phone?

Hey guys, so I rooted my Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (Android v2.3.4) R800i with DoomLord's one click root method which uses the ZergRush Exploit, and I didnt unlock my bootloader. I deleted some boatware from /system/app but I want it back as I wanna unroot my Xperia, and want everything to be the way it was when I first unboxed it.

So my question is, if I copy my friends /system/app directory into mine, will that cause any problems? And will I have to manually install each APK or will copying the directory install them? And how do I do it?
Btw, his phone is the exact same one as mine :)

Btw, to recieve OTA or to update frm a computer, do I need to reinstall alk bloatware or is an unrooted phone with bloatware removed enough for updating?

Btw me and my friends' phone is GSM unlocked, so not from a carrier. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Technically it will work if you copy the directory and paste it, then run a fix permissions in recovery. But why not just flash the FTF firmware file?

xda-developers - View Single Post - Xperia Play Super-Compilation (root, BL unlock, ROMs, tweaks) [WIP]

I found that in the sticky at the top of the All Things Root subforum that you posted a similar thread, btw :)

http://androidforums.com/play-all-t...l-things-root-guide-updated-11-19-2011-a.html

thanks so much dude! BTW do I need an unlocked bootloader to use FlashTool? Or will it work with a locked bootloader? Thanks :)
And I will be able to recieve OTAs after I do this right? =)

Really appreciate the help :D

Upvote 0
I have no idea as I don't own an Xperia. But I'd guess that it might work if you're unlocked, but most likely you'll need to be locked to get it to work. It should tell you if it doesn't work.

And yes, you should be able to get OTAs after this. You might have to do a manual check the first time, though. There should be something under About Phone in settings to check for update.

Upvote 0
I have no idea as I don't own an Xperia. But I'd guess that it might work if you're unlocked, but most likely you'll need to be locked to get it to work. It should tell you if it doesn't work.

And yes, you should be able to get OTAs after this. You might have to do a manual check the first time, though. There should be something under About Phone in settings to check for update.

Thanks so much! My bootloader is locked, so it should work :) btw I have the update option, but how can I check whether OTAs work? Cuz I currently have the latest version for my phone 2.3.4 :)

Upvote 0
Once you're back to stock, you can check for updates. It'll check and tell you that there is either: 1) No update and that you're up to date or 2) there is an update and you download it.

it tells me that there are no updates right now,so does that mean that removed bloatware doesn't affect OTAs? Anyways, I'm using FlashTool now :)

Upvote 0
Once you're back to stock, you can check for updates. It'll check and tell you that there is either: 1) No update and that you're up to date or 2) there is an update and you download it.

multiupload doesnt seem to work, so i cant download the ftf files. if i use wotanserver, will i have to perform future updates via it or i will be able to perform OTAs? And which CDA should I select? Thanks! :D

Upvote 0

Thanks btw could u upload the R800i 4.0.2.A.0.42 ftf file somewhere other than multiupload? that doesn't seem to work in my country. and if i download a UK generic ftf, will that affect OTAs or anything? thanks :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones