Can I delete .apk files once installed?

Last Updated:

1. texas83

texas83 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Been searching but cant find a clear cut answer.

Once I've installed an .apk file, can I delete that .apk file off my SD card? Will it still function properly? Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Yes, once the apk is installed on the phone, you no longer need the apk on your sd card.

peacemaker1277 and texas83 like this.
  3. ohjani

ohjani New Member

What about the apk files in my phone storage that comes with the phone? For eg: i noticed the ThinkFree office suite's apk file stored in the phone storage (and it's quite big). This app comes together with phone, can I delete the apk file without affecting the app?

4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

You CAN delete it per se. You would need to use something like Titanium Backup to delete it though since it is probably a preloaded .apk. Though, if you delete this from the internal memory, I am pretty sure it will also uninstall it and make the app not usable. It is a bit different than deleting an .apk file from your microSD card after installing it because the app remains installed after you delete it.

I would make a backup up of the .apk file you want to delete first. That way you can restore it if deleting it breaks something. Additionally, you might want to do a quick Nandroid, just in case. I hope this helps.

peacemaker1277 likes this.