• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I disable Hard Power Off and How?

Just to clarify, I don't mean a factory reset - I mean what happens when you hold the power key in for 10+ seconds (with the same effect as taking out the battery).

I have had this problem for a little over a month now and have done extensive research as to what has caused it, and looked all through the internet for fixes (this is to let you all know that simple fixes are out of the question - I am posting a thread simply because I cannot find a thread that mirrors my problem or fixes it).

Here is my problem: The power button is too touchy. Just by shaking my phone, it will either turn off my screen, bring up the "Device Options" screen (from holding the power button 3-5 seconds), or Hard Turn Off my phone. My first fix was to completely remove the power button, which worked fine for a week or so (and the phone can now survive in my pocket). However, it has gotten worse. The tiny white tab on the inside is so touchy, barely poking it with a screwdriver will activate whatever the power button does. It has gotten to the point that if I ever so slightly bang my phone, or even turn it, the phone will Hard Turn Off. If I try to turn it on, the same thing will happen, and it will turn off again before the watery "samsung" screen appears with the blue LED.

I took it to a repair shop, who confirmed my suspicions that it is a hardware problem, but then told me they could not do anything about it since this tiny white button is on the motherboard of the phone.

My warranty with T-Mobile has expired, and I'd prefer to try everything before I replaced the phone. I do use an app to lock my phone so that the power button is completely useless to me (and now a complete nuisance). The phone is not rooted but I am willing to root it.

Overall it seems that replacing the hardware is not an option, and software causing the problem is not the cause. This leaves me with changing the code myself, which I am willing to do but need direction. Is anyone able to help/willing?

Best thing i can suggest is put a stiff case on it. I use the Urban Armor Gear which has quite a stiff power button part but it does protrude so you'd wana find one where the button part is fush.
im rooted and any mod or rom ive used have only been able to disable power button from waking the phone. Nothing ive seen will prevent the long-press action. Sorry :beer:
P.s, although you wouldnt want to fully disable the button (you have to be able to turn the phone on lol) id guess that the code controlling what it does while booted is very separate to the code that controls what it does while off so i think you could potentially be able to either fully disable it (while booted) or hopefully just change/disable the long-press action (also while booted).
You need the help of a friendly coder and youll have to be rooted so the all things root forum for your device is the place to start :)

Reactions: kgmaistropitcher
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones