Can I do all this on Verizons network?

1. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I've been waiting for a good Android phone for some time now, and it's starting to look we're only a month away from 1 or 2 big releases. So here's what I need to know. I spend a lot of time in my car every day. I'm looking to use the Android phone as a full blown phone/gps/media center. I'd like to mount the phone in the car, fire up some MP3's, get my Google GPS going, and then make phone calls while this is all happening with everything working together. So when a call is placed or received, the MP3 should instantly pause, the GPS should continue to work as normal and then the MP3 should return to playing where it left off when the call ends. To me this sounds so basic, but I've learned that things aren't always this simple. My two big concerns are the phones ability to multitask and Verizon's network being able to handle voice/data at the same time. I really need to stay with Verizon as AT&T coverage is horrible for phone calls for me. So basically, can a Verizon Android phone be a true All in One device?

Thanks for any input.;)

Advertisement
  2. OldSmoky

OldSmoky Well-Known Member

You can't make phone calls all that easily while driving--at least not handsfree with bluetooth. Android phones do not do BT voice dialing. Also on VZW you can't have simultaneous voice and data. The GPS mapping data doesn't continue to update while on a call, but it caches data ahead so unless the call lasts a real long time, you will be fine.
  3. Droid1215

Droid1215 Well-Known Member

From everything I've read no. If you recieve a call while using GPS, tops working while you are on the phone. I'm not sure about the MP3 player. On my Storm that's not a problem.
  4. Topshelf

Oh man, no BT dialing??? No Voice/GPS simultaneously? This is not good news for my plans. This is really saddening. I honestly can't believe that this configuration isn't standard by now. Can't go to the iPhone since that doesn't multitask and is only on AT&T. Hate to have multiple devices in the car, but I guess at this time there's no way around it. :(
  5. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Simultaneous voice/data isn't just something you make standard. The lack of support is based on the initial revision of EVDO and from there, everything follows suit. They finally ratified an official EVDV which would permit data to function while on a call, but Verizon has opted to just jump from EVDO rev A to LTE (4G). Plus, I'm not certain that EVDV is a firmware update for phones. It may be in the hardware which would explain why Verizon is not interested in pursuing this since you're talking another generation of phones and network costs before 4G.
  6. OldSmoky

OldSmoky Well-Known Member

The MP3 Android player is fine but AFAIK is doesn't have any equalizer capabilities. Also it is cumbersome to use while driving. If you want to pause it manually, you have to first push twice to refresh the screen and unlock it. Then you can pause it. I still use my Nano for music, podcasts and audiobooks. Frankly, I wish the Android had more hard buttons.
  7. Topshelf

Wow, thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately, none of it is good news. I'm really not sure how I want to proceed from here. GPS and Voice are critical to me, and simultaneous usage is a definite. So even if I go with a dedicated GPS, it sounds like MP3 usage leaves quite a bit to be desired. So now I need a GPS, an iPod, and an Android phone? :confused: I think I'm going to have to start all over again and rethink this entire plan. And if I do go with Android, I'm not sure if there's even a reason to wait for the better (more expensive) options coming out when I get get an Eris for free. Any idea when this 4G network will be going live on Verizon? And I'm guessing no current phones would support it? Time for a little vodka and some reading.
  8. kyler13

I'm willing to bet this time next year we'll be talking about the first LTE phones coming soon on Verizon. Figure next summer. Even then, you're only talking about metropolitan areas so if you're traveling and you fall back to 3G, it'll be CDMA and that means no simultaneous voice/data. I don't think what you want exists quite yet, except for maybe the iphone but that introduces a whole other set of limitations.
  9. Topshelf

Thanks for all the help kyler. I really need to think this over now. For all practical purposes I could switch to AT&T as my wife has an iPhone, join a family plan and either jailbreak an iPhone for multitasking, or grab a Nexus One/Desire which should allow me to use a phone as I'm wanting. Only problem with this plan is that I've just cut my voice coverage in half. OK, maybe not half, but I've had a BB Curve on AT&T for the last 2 years that dropped calls non-stop. Last week I had a 45 minute conversation on the road on my old E815 (yeah, it's like 1984 again) and never once even heard static, let alone drop the call. This is a really frustrating position I'm in. I so want a single complete mobile device that my entire world is tied into. But every option has it's drawbacks...some bigger than others.
  10. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind with that idea is that the Nexus One will not be able to do 3G on AT&T...which means no voice & data simultaneously. Just hate to see you buy it and found out the hard way.
  11. Topshelf

Thanks for answers in both threads Howie. I'm seriously thinking I'm better off going with a device for voice/e-mail, and a separate GPS now. Bummer, but I appreciate you guys pointing out some things I wasn't aware of a few hours ago. Just tired of waiting for my robot sidekick that's going to make my life so easy. :)
  12. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Well-Known Member

I would personally recommend a dedicated mobile GPS for the car anyway.

The options available on the new Garmins and TomToms (like 3D view, voice options, POI's, night-mode) really make them better than anything you can get on a smartphone.
  13. kyler13

True, but we've seen an AT&T compatible Nexus One hit the FCC so it's release is upcoming, at some point.

Topshelf - If you do want Android on AT&T, I'd recommend the Desire over the Nexus One. From what I've seen, it appears HTC has polished the original idea of the Nexus One into the Desire.
  14. Topshelf

Thanks again. After thinking this over last night and ALMOST deciding on jailbreaking an iPhone, I've decided to wait for the upcoming Incredible/N1 and see how it goes. I just can't go to AT&T with such poor reception. I figure they are going to have all the features I want, so I'll try it out and see how things mesh. I can then decide if a dedicated GPS is needed (most likely), but I'm too darn curious to see what I can get out of this amazing voice activated Google system. So now it's just back to the waiting game. Are we ever not waiting for the next best device? :)
  15. KenW

KenW Member

I have a Garmin 765T GPS. The "T" stands for transmitter. The power cable contains an FM transmitter for sending voice instructions AND music to the car audio system. Or you could run an audio cable to the radio if it has an input on it's face.

It's not perfect when going from town to town as the empty frequence in one location might be being used somewhere else, but it's not hard to pull over and find a new empty frequency.