Can I Do This? iOS User About to Switch to Android

1. consultant

consultant Well-Known Member

Probably a dumb question but I'm an iOS Jailbreak user about to say goodbye to iOS and get an HTC One X PLUS. It takes a lot of work to jailbreak and then install all the Cydia apps to get your iOS phone to work the way YOU want it, not the way Apples wants it to. Not having used Android, I want to do some due diligence to make sure there are no surprises.

I assume the "lockscreen" on Android (HTC Sense Flavor) is extremely flexible as far as what you want to see (had to use Intelliscreen X on iPhone to do this). I just want to see log of unread texts and maybe just counts of unread e-mail but that I can click on to open up and see the subjects. I'm sure this is no problem?

Most importantly, I need complete control over notification behavior. Unlike most people these days, my phone isn't in my pocket or by my side 24/7. I still use a regular cordless phone (with VOIP) in my house. Or sometimes I'm in a noisy environment and the phone is in my jacket pocket so I don't feel the vibration. So in the early days of iOS I'd miss voicemails and texts because I'm not constantly using/checking my phone! (iOS 6 has partially fixed this but I don't want the same sounds/frequency for all notifications types!) So I have my phone currently setup as follows (using a Cydia app of course):

Missed Calls: Play a tone, vibrate and briefly flash the screen once every 10 minutes for up to 2 hours.

Voicemails: Play a different tone every 5 minutes for up to 4 hours.

Texts: Play a different tone every 2 minutes for up to 30 minutes.

Between the hours of 10PM and 6AM, don't play any tones or vibrate for anything. But at 6 AM, start doing whatever the rules dictate.

Other thing is I can tether my phone to a computer when I have no WiFi WITHOUT paying for a tethering data plan. Granted I rarely have to do this. (I'm on AT&T)

Another feature is the phone will turn my GPS off when I'm connected to my home Wifi network (to conserve battery) and then turn back on when I leave. the house. Not a MUST-HAVE, but nice.

I spot checked some of my favorite apps to make sure they were on Android and a-okay, but not sure if the above features are available via built-in or an app. Seems like considering there are more Android phones being sold than iPhones, any developer would be an idiot to develop for iOS and not Android (why I think my question may be a dumb one in the first place.)
    Windows 8 Phone is another (pathetic) story. ;)

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Sounds like you need to look into Tasker. It can set up a lot of these cycles you are talking about the dictate how long things ring and so on and so forth...

A way to customize the lock screen to what you want would be to use WidgetLocker, it basically lets you put anything on the lockscreen.

Regarding unread counts i know natively Android does not do this, however, with the installation of Nova Prime Launcher, paired with Tesla Unread you can see the unread counts of SMS, Email, Missed Calls, etc...

Hope this helps :)
  3. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

+1 for widgetlocker. I use it and it's awesome.

Yes to the nova and tesla option, however, also some brand customized launchers (I know sense does) include unread counts for some apps out of the box.
  4. solidsnake13

solidsnake13 Well-Known Member

I also found Easy Reminder that you can customize to remind you of missed calls and unread messages. It does not look like it has a reminder for voice mail, however.
  5. consultant

Thanks for the recommendations! I have to admit I am a bit surprised a lot of this stuff isn't already built in, especially something like unread counts! But I'll still give it a try. To anyone interested, this is some of the functionality I will be trying to emulate:

IntelliScreenX Teaser - YouTube

Notifier+ App Review - YouTube (ignore the first 30 seconds about him launching into his e-mail)

The custom notification rules is REALLY the thing that is a MUST have. I have a programming background so Tasker will be a piece of cake. I guess I may miss some of the simplicity of the iOS apps but I can learn to live with it.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

If you do any sort of programming android/rooting is for you my friend.

Make your phone truly yours
  7. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

I second taking a look at Tasker. It does so much that you can't even explain all it can do for you.

Notification specific, take a look at LightFlow. The free edition is usually good enough for most people. It can change sound, light color and vibration on your notifications. It can change if they happen at all, how often and for how long (i.e. every 5 minutes for the next 2 hours). You can even change how often the light pulses. Best of all, the notifications can be for what (missed call, low battery, new MMS) or for who. (Note: the different light colors is hardware dependent. Not sure what your HTC is capable of)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...owlite&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

A nice alternative to Tasker is Llama - choice is always a good thing. :)
  9. consultant

My brief understanding was that rooting was similar to jailbreaking on iOS goign a lot further instead of just allowing non-Apple store apps via Cydia, you actually are installing an entire new firmware. Think I remember reading all kinds of posts on XDA developers or something. Some are better/more reliable than others. I would assume you can backup/restore stock firmware for warranty purposes? Now, I'm getting onto another subject, sorry. I'm all for customization, but not at the expense of reliability.

I need to find a balance between spending hours customizing my phone and just having something that reliably works well and does mostly what I want. I was sort of hoping, Jelly Bean would suffice "out of the box" but I'm naive to think that for a programmer/tinkerer/gadget freak like myself, anything will ever satisfy me "out of the box." It's just that I'm older now, have kids, busy life, three PC's in the house, tablets, smartphones, game systems, wireless hubs, external drives, programmable remotes, etc. It can really suck a lot of your time maintaining all this stuff.

I wonder if anyone has ever written sort of a "Power Users Guide for going from iPhone to Android" must have apps, etc. Things to get used to having or not having. Guess that's what this thread is for. :)

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Jailbroken iPhone mostly is just equivalent customization level to an unrooted stock Android phone.

And yes, all the things you asked for can be done using a single app: Tasker.

Rooting does not remove stock ROM. You can unroot and warranty is back. It takes just like 30seconds. Its the replacing of ROMs which are a bit more complicated.