Can I format my sd card??

Last Updated:

1. rentjr

rentjr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been switching ROMs, installing and uninstalling apps and such. My sd card is full of temp folders and cache folders and I can't tell what belongs to what. I am wondering if I format my card, will my apps just make the correct folders and stuff again on startup or will I have to completely start from scratch?

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

your apps are not saved on your SD card so you shouldnt have an issue. ive done complete wipes of my card and had no issue. the SD card is completely seperate from your phone, otherwise whenever you replaced your SD card you would have to start from scratch.

i know for a fact that when u delete the files for the camer it re-creates a folder so i would imagine that any other app would. if your worried, which i wouldnt be, make a complete copy of your sd card, save it to your computer and try.

3. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

i take it you have root since you are posting in the root section, you will need to re-create amon's recovery image so that you can continue to flash from rom to rom and make nand backups.

4. rentjr

I have his recovery image and have a couple nand backups of a couple roms I have tried. I am just wondering if it is safe to format my sd card without affect. There are folders on my sd card that I KNOW are from apps I no longer use, those I have deleted. BUT, I know there are other folders which are not so obvious that are for apps I no longer use. The only way I can see to really clean up the sd card is to format it but I know there are apps that use the sd card for storage of some things (I think I know...). If I just format my card, will these apps re-create the folders they need? or will they just not run properly?

I think I'm just going to make a couple of backups and do it, just seeing if anyone else knew for sure.

Thanks for you help droidkevlar and andrizoid

5. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

You can just transfer your nand backups to your desktop format your sd card and then just transfer the nand backups and you should be fine, my sd card is getting full also I'm going to format soon.

6. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

or just copy your whole sd card to your computer if you are really worried bout fubaring something up

7. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

Thus is probably the easiest. However, the cool iris media caches that are not all in one folder will not come back, they create thumbnails for your gallery.

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

From what i've read the recovery partition is on the phone not the sd card. I could be wrong but i thought i seen something about that at the XNA forum. Either way you can copy the recovery.img to the root of the sd card and redo the recovery mode installation, it won't hurt. I've done it 3 times just playing around and its never touched my nandroid backups nor messed the recovery mode up.

9. rentjr

Thanks guys for all your help. I copied the entire sd card to my computer and then formatted the card grim within the phone. Copied the stuff back over that I needed (music, nand backups, pics etc) and everything was fine, a couple of things had to re-cache but it was fine.

Just rooted my fiancee's eris. She liked mine so much, she wanted one of her own ;)