1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Can I GEOCACHE

Last Updated:

1. wacofan

wacofan Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone just bought my Android Eris this week and I enjoy geocaching. Is there an app that will allow me to do this?

Advertisement
  2. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Yeah. I saw some in the Market, but don't recall the names. Try a search there for cache and geocache.

3. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

Geobeagle
    Also search YouTube for"augmented reality geobeagle" it's an interesting video!

4. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I love Geocaching! That just makes it TOO easy! LOL

5. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

I know huh! I saw that video and was blown away. I love AR apps but few have any use at all, much less THIS much use. I bought my wife a decent camera for christmas, so next year I plan to make some decent vid's for youtube of ar and geobeagle in action.

6. gueeds23

gueeds23 Member

Would be nice if there was an official geocaching.com app available. Going to try out geobeagle the next chance I get

7. miqal

miqal Active Member

If you like Geocaching, try Gowalla. They dont have an app yet for Android, but its coming. You can use the mobile site until then at Gowalla Web

You check in at a place you visit and you might find something (virtual items) there that someone dropped. To pickup the dropped item, you must drop something from your collection.

8. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

This wouldn't bother except fertilizing
    How official do you want it? Do you want geochaching.com to make one? There is an attempt on winmo to create an official app, but the Dev was told to stop. Geochaching.com is a lot like apple. If they aren't making money they aren't sharing. This wouldn't bother me except that geocaching is free provided by users for users. All Geochaching.com does is list the caches so the coordinates can be distributed faster/ easier. Meanwhile Geochaching.com makes no effort to branch out. At this point I would rather have geobeagle over their crap... after all geobeagle is free!

9. ezfilesend

ezfilesend New Member

Geobeagle is GREAT!
    If you have kids it is a must!

EVEN my wife thought it was cool !! She has hated every phone I had prior.

10. simplemind3d

simplemind3d New Member

geocaching.com is coming out with and official groundspeak geocaching application it is supposed to hit the market sometime in the first quarter of this year.

11. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

Going to throw in my +1 for Geobeagle. It's a great app for caching.

(Just don't use it in conjunction with the Dolphin web browser when attempting to view the cache location on Google Maps. It won't work correctly. It's a bug with Dolphin though, not GB.)

12. Nexoid

Nexoid Well-Known Member

That app looks freakin cool!

13. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Also, check out C:GEO, it's just come out and has a few added functions (like integrating the geocaching site with the app).

14. jdub71

jdub71 Well-Known Member

So with geobeagle, how do you get to the AR view? Is this built in or do you have to tweak and install extra stuff?

15. mustang5o

mustang5o Well-Known Member

Hoping to get an answer on this myself. The video say "an experiment in augmented reality" or something like that. Sounds like a developer was just testing it out unless someone here can tell us how to get working.

16. badfrog

badfrog Well-Known Member

+1 for this app

Gowalla on 1.5 is horrible, app is extremely slow, locks up, force closes, etc. it also isn't really setup for geocaching, it lets you add "spots" but it doesn't show coordinates, or let you input them.

17. shatter2day

shatter2day Member

I use 2 geo-caching apps C:GEO and geo-beagle. Geo-beagle is nice, but I haven't found a way to enter in coordinates (for when I do multi-caches). C:Geo is fun to have on hand because it will actually figure out the closest caches from my location. If i ever find a cache earlier then expected or have more time its been nice to have this on hand (plus I can enter coordinates into it).

18. mustang5o

mustang5o Well-Known Member

Geo Beagle worked to find nearest caches. Sure it had to launch the browser and then click on google maps and choose Geo Beagle but then it seemed to work great. I was sure I was able to input coordinates manually. I tried C:Geo but it didn't seem very intuitive. Maybe I just need to play around a little more. Now that I have Geo Beagle pretty much figured out I'm sure I'll stick with that.

The main question remains: How do we get the augmented reality thing working?

19. billtvshow

billtvshow Member

Geobeagle is the app I got started with for Geocaching on Android, in fact it single handedly got me back into caching. If you want to use Pocket Queries, this is the app to use. However, even if you don't use PQ's there are some other options to get caches into the app, whether it be manually through the "Search Online" option built into the program or you through the "Find Geocaches" app ($), which lets you search and import a group of nearby caches into Geobeagle.

On the other hand, as others have pointed out, there is also c:geo.
    It's main drawback currently is that it doesn't support importing Pocket Queries or loc's (Or if it does I have grossly overlooked it). That said, it is the hands down best app I have used when it comes to the user interface and caching on the fly. You have a plethora of location based options to find and list caches in the program. Once you do, you have basically all of the same general tools for caching that you do in Geobeagle, though the main difference for me is the actual cache pages in the app. The pages for the caches are loaded directly from the website, rather than from a gpx file, so you have all of the logs available to you, but also they are very pretty and well organized.

So in conclusion I recommend having both if you are really serious about your geocaching. If you're going to use pocket queries and are caching around home, go for Geobeagle, but if you are away from home and just want to get up and running quickly with some nearby caches, c:geo is a better option imo.

20. Kamagrian

Kamagrian New Member

I've been using GeoHunter with some success, but can't find a way to manually input cooordinates for a new waypoint. This makes it difficult to do multi- or offset caches, though as a complete beginner I might be missing something here!

Any ideas what I could use to manually input a new waypoint?

This is my first post, btw - I joined the forum after I got my new HTC Desire, which I LOVE. Happy to be here.

21. jtpryan

jtpryan Well-Known Member

Has anybody had success getting .LOC files into GeoBeagle? I just get an error that it can't read the card. I have tried downloading them and email them to myself.

22. brianem

brianem Well-Known Member

C:geo is an amazing app, author very engaged with users.

23. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

24. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I really like GeOrg. It handles PQs and you can have different cache databases for different areas. It is pretty complete. The only thing it doesn't do is use Google Nav for on-road nav to a cache location. It just displays the route on google maps.

I also use c:geo just in case I want to get a "live" snapshot of an area, but it's a little cumbersome. Every time you go in and out of the main screen, it has to download the cache data from geocaching.com to get the nearest caches. It just recently added options to save the data, but that's not totally working right now.