• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I get Chrome?

wittier

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
I have an original EVO 4G (hardware version 0003; model PC36100). It's no longer on Sprint...I have a newer EVO 4G LTE as my phone.

The EVO 4G has Android 2.3.5.

I'd like to use it as a WiFi device. It just has the basic "Internet" browser.

Google Play Store says that Chrome isn't compatible with this device. I'd like to add some more modern apps like Chrome. Short of rooting, what can I do?

If I were to root it, what would be a new root that would work with this hardware and not slow it down? Would I be able to factory restore it afterward if I didn't like the root? (I've never rooted).

I have an original EVO 4G (hardware version 0003; model PC36100). It's no longer on Sprint...I have a newer EVO 4G LTE as my phone.

The EVO 4G has Android 2.3.5.

I'd like to use it as a WiFi device. It just has the basic "Internet" browser.

Google Play Store says that Chrome isn't compatible with this device. I'd like to add some more modern apps like Chrome. Short of rooting, what can I do?

If I were to root it, what would be a new root that would work with this hardware and not slow it down? Would I be able to factory restore it afterward if I didn't like the root? (I've never rooted).
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do not think that you can get chrome to work on your phone. some apps are just not designed to function on older phones. there might be a chrome apk file you can google and try it, but i doubt that it will function very well.

as far as rooting goes, it would not matter even if it were rooted or not. but rooting does have its advantages.

for one you can try custom roms on your phone. roms are the os of the phone and we have some great devs creating amazing roms!!!!! we have ICS and JB roms which you will never see an official release from sprint, but we have ot on our phones now. plus even some of the sense based roms will have bloatware removed and maybe even some tweeks to make the phone run faster and smoother then stock.

for me rooting allows you to increase the performance of the phone and provide better battery life then a stock non rooted phone.

here are some links to describe more on what rooting is:

and if you want to root here is the guide you will need:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones