Can I get it locked and will that solve the marketplace problem?

Should you wait for upcoming android phones or jump now with the HTC Hero?

1. Wait

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Buy Hero now!

2 vote(s)
    66.7%

Last Updated:

1. a_l_a_n

a_l_a_n Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am thinking of buying this phone but it is not currently available in my country.

I can buy an unlocked phone online, but there are issues with unlocked phones and the marketplace.

Does anybody know if I would be able to buy it unlocked, and then get it locked to my network provider, and would that give me access to copy protected apps in the marketplace. I am just assuming that the same guys who you can pay to unlock, will also be able to relock it, right?

Is there anything else I need to consider before importing an unlocked phone like this? I don't want to spend all that money only to find I cant use half the features!

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

I am Not sure but wouldn't a Factory Reset to the phone restore the Lock ?

3. a_l_a_n

I'm not sure, but remember, I'm talking about buying from abroad and getting it locked into the network that I choose in my country. So restoring any pre-existing lock wouldn't help me here.

4. justjimjpc

My point is that possibly if you perform a Factory Reset the phone may return to a Locked state ... and that is what you seem to believe will avoid the problem that some unlocked phones have when it comes to apps ...

So doing a Factory Reset is a way that might solve your issue and use your exisiting phone.

5. a_l_a_n

Hi

My understanding of locked means locked to a particular network. So if I do a factory reset which causes it to go back to being locked to, say, T-Mobile (UK), then the phone will be no good to me here in Ireland.

What I was thinking was that I could get such an unlocked phone from the UK and then lock it to my Irish network providers, in the hope that this would get around this problem.

Make sense?

6. justjimjpc

Yeah I get your point .... So why not contact your Carrier and ask them if they can lock your phone to their network ... maybe can be by a push from them to your phone ...

7. a_l_a_n

Okay (I dont know much about this locking business ... I was just wondering if anyone could confirm it was possible (which I would expect it is) and particularly if anyone knows it will give me full access to the app market.)

Thanks justjimpc.

8. justjimjpc

No Worries ... Maybe you can Post your Carrier and Region (Ireland ?? if there are different Regions within by carrier ) and see if someone else from your region will confirm the app market abilities from their locked phone ...

9. a_l_a_n

Indeed ... I'm thinking of going with 3 Ireland, if anyone has any info.