Can I get my HTC Magic to see my WiFi when I arrive homeSupport

Last Updated:

1. Jippas

Jippas New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone

I have been having problems trying toget my HTC Magic to "see" my network. Is there anyway to have my WiFi network setup as the priority network, so that when I arrive home, the phone will connect?

Advertisement
  2. tigrr07

tigrr07 Well-Known Member

Mine does that automactically.

I have my mobile network set on to use phone for data connection when wi-fi is available.

Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile Network > click on.

Some time it won't connect right way, but most of the time it does.

3. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

sometimes it helps if you set your wifi connection point to broadcast the its ID and switch off encryption. Then once established your phone will remember the contact point even when you stop broadcasting its ID and turn on WEP or WPA.

4. psi-ko1

psi-ko1 Member

make sure you press remember on a setup wifi connection. I don't even have to activate it as long as wifi is on it auto connects for me.

5. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

One thing though, it won't connect until you wake the phone.

6. mdoadomdo

mdoadomdo New Member

That's the basic problem. I want to make my phone always use wifi as priority 1, then if wifi is not available, the use the 2G or 3G networks.
    When I arrive at home my phone is sleeping, as you say. But nevertheless it connects to the mobile network. What I would like is for it to switch to wifi whenever a wifi connection that I have established (remembered) is available. Does anyone know if that is possible? Thanks a million.

7. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

If you have the wifi profile remembered it will connect automatically but as mentioned, only when awake. Most of the heavier data apps will not use 3G when sleeping unless told to do so (the Listen app is like that). normally this isn't an issue as you'll only use a small amount of background data on 3G, so for example if it signals you that email has arrived (tiny amount of data over 3G) it will switch to wifi when you wake it up to check. It takes a few seconds depending on your wireless unit.
    You'd eat the battery quickly if you could set wifi to be on when sleeping. The "always on" setting for 3G keeps the important things running but uses little 3G data. I don't see the same setting for wifi but you normally don't want that since only small amounts of 3G gets used in standby.

as for priority, wifi is by default priority 1. It will connect as needed and does that rather well without killing battery. even without a data plan the wifi will sleep whenever possible.

oh, if you really can't spare the 3G bits you could drop a widget that turns off mobile networking when you are in that wifi location.

8. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

System Settings > Wireless Controls > WiFi Settings > (press the menu button) Advanced > WiFi Sleep Policy > Never.

Try that, see if that will work?