Can I get the Weather app to use GPS instead of network location?Support

Last Updated:

1. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It keeps telling me I'm in the town across the river. Maybe according to the network location I am in that town but when I go to maps and it uses GPS it realizes the proper city. The weather app often makes this mistake. I thought when I setup my device it may have asked if I want to use GPS or just network location for something but I can't find that setting anymore. Any ideas on how to get more accurate current location for the weather widget? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

Menu, settings, location, use gps satellites

3. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i have to ask, how far away is the reading that its using? cell towers dont broadcast all that far, so the weather would still be pretty accurate seeing that it is only updating every hour as it is

4. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

If you'd have ever lived on the "right" side of a town, you wouldn't want your phone thinking that you lived on the wrong side, either!

5. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I already had "Use GPS" checked but while in that menu I unchecked "Use Wireless Networks" and the weather app so far is now always identifying the correct location, on the correct side of the river :)

6. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

that will probably use more battery if that matters to you, if not then dont worry