can i install flash on my heroSupport

Last Updated:

1. groggy

groggy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

as you know some websites require flash to function properly but can this be installed on my hero.
    i am running 1.6 on orange

cheers

Advertisement
  2. Polo63119

Polo63119 Well-Known Member

i am wanting this as well...
    i have 2.0 and still not listed in market app section

think i did hear 2.2 froyo does have flash

3. groggy

sorry that should have been 1.5

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Hello there,

Flash is only available for Android 2.2 but even so, once you are running 2.2 on your Hero you will not be able to use Flash. Adobe do not support the Hero architecture and it is very unlikely that they ever will as it will run very slow.

groggy likes this.
  5. groggy

cheers bluenova
    so it works on other phones but not on the hero?

6. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Yup

Adobe Forums: Android and Windows Mobile roadmap

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Flash likes to have a dedicated hardware resources in the processor to do its job. Whenever it lacks that, it has to perform its functions via more intensive software. Running full Flash compared to Flash Lite on an Evo does result in slower browser behavior and a more rapid battery drain, and for that reason many consider the Nexus One's/Evo's Snapdragon processor to be the minimum acceptable achitecture for full Flash.

You might consider the Skyfire browser for your Flash needs - this gives an overview -

Skyfire 2.1 for Android gets full Flash 10.1 support | Electronista

Skyfire 2.0 for Android | Skyfire

It's in beta - but they are looking for feedback here (and who cares what phone it is - we're all HTC) -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-reviews/159630-how-streaming-video-skyfire.html

Now - despite those warnings - you can always give it a try if you're adventurous, and are running Sense and 2.1 -

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Adobe Flash 10.1 APK

That is NOT a bad flash implementation, I used it myself when running 2.1 - not perfect - but very good.

FWIW - I use the Astro File Manager (free, Market) and once I have a file downloaded to my sd card, I go to it, give it a tap, and it then lets you choose to run the installer for it (other advice exists out there that's way too complicated to do the same job).

Hope this helps - no guarantees, so perhaps as a group if you have someone rooted with a stock 2.1 rom and a good nandroid backup, maybe they can try it and report results and expectations on your Heros - and - if I've given bad advice in any way, they can restore from nandroid and Bob's your uncle.

PS - I knew I'd seen this somewhere - anyway, check this out -

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/06/flash-10-1-mod-pictured-running-on-an-upgraded-2-1-htc-hero/

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

It worked for me but - I'm on an EVO - and the target is _any_ HTC with Sense.

The link to XDA above will give you a 4.2 MB file called flash_for_21.apk.

The final Flash under 2.2 is a 12.52 MB install - however, while I can't speak to the differences between the two other than vastly improved video, a great many flash sites not working with Flash Lite did open up and work correctly with flash_for_21.

For many of those missing video sites, there's still Skyfire - and then there's those sites we're all still trying to deal with. You know - there's one in every crowd.

I really wish I had a Hero or a nearby buddy with one - I'm certainly not intending to set up anyone here as guinea pigs - just putting this info out, especially if someone can try it in this community and report back on success or failure, with the safety net of a root nandroid backup.

Should I go ask about this in the Hero's All Things Root sub-forum?

I'm really enjoying my HTC phone and quickly found it could do more than they told us - a lot more. So, my only motivation is to share the opportunity with Hero users, if at all helpful.