Can I just keep my phone plugged in all night - want new battery?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Smudgie

Smudgie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I frequently use my phone throughout the day just prior to going to bed. I then turn it off and charge it throughout the night while i sleep for 8 hours. Is it ok that I keep it charging this long? I get a decent charge out of the stock battery but may pick up something with a higher capacity and am wondering if I can damage a battery by over charging. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. mikewashere05

mikewashere05 Well-Known Member

Its fine. The charger is smart enough to automatically stop when full.

3. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

In fact, it's so clever it stops when it's NOT full.:(

To get a full charge, turn the phone off when you wake up, and leave it plugged in until the charging light turns green again (the "bump charging" workaround). I usually find it's ready to go by the time I finish breakfast.

4. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Actually, it does charge to full. What people are experiencing is simply that the phone stops charging once it's full instead of continuing a trickle charge to maintain 100% battery.

So if you charge it overnight and leave it on for say 8 hours, the phone will be fully charged after 2 hours and then have 6 hours of just running idle (using round numbers here, of course). That 8% or so drop you see is the phone being on, in idle, for 6 hours. The only software problem is that it takes 10-15 minutes for the battery indicator to catch up and report this correctly.

As for the bump charging, you don't have to turn the phone off, though it is the fastest way to do it. You could also simply wait for the battery to catch up and then plug it back in (with the phone still on) and get the same effect.

5. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

It's not that the charger is that smart, but the phone is. The phone regulates when the batter receives charge and when it doesn't.

For the OP, it doesn't matter how long you keep your phone on charge, it will not harm the battery. Modern battery technology is pretty smart to prevent issues like that. Be wary of generic chargers, though.

And Terabethia is exactly right on the charging issue. It charges to 100% then switches back to battery power.

6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

People turn their phone's off at night and then power back up? Never done that. Seems a tad silly.

7. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

No, you can charge overnight with the phone on and turn it off during breakfast to get the last bit of juice in there. (Terebethia's explanation of what is going on there is more accurate than mine, I was just riffing on a previous comment.)

8. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

He was commenting on the OP's comment that he turns it off all night.

9. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

I think this is bunk.... The reason I think it is bunk is because if you follow this procedure, then power the phone down again, it will still take another few minutes of charging to make the light green again. You can sit there and waste your entire day powering your phone up and down and will never get a green light on your charger when you shut it down.

10. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Absurd.

11. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Oh, I see, missed that the first time.:eek:

12. bluechip68

bluechip68 Member

THis is what happens to me. I charge it overnight. Then sometimes when I wake up in the morning the F___ker is DEAD! Or it says the charger is not compatable. WTF? Is there a setting on the phone for a trickle charge or is just the norm? Thanks!!!!!

13. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Bring it to a VZW store, both the phone and charger.

14. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Well-Known Member

I second taking your phone in. Sounds like there's a defect.

15. bluechip68

bluechip68 Member

Went and got a new charger finally. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

16. taylor6400

taylor6400 Well-Known Member

This is not true. If you turn your phone off immediately after it turns to green (while turned on) it will continue to charge for 15-20 mins usually. Thats what you HAVE to do to get a full charge.

17. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

You resurrected a month old thread just to argue a well known fact :confused:

It IS true. And that is NOT what you "have" to do to get a full charge.

If you don't want to believe me, try it yourself. Or you can continue wasting your time every morning powering your phone off and recharging only to get the same results. Up to you.

18. johnny0911

johnny0911 New Member

I have a question regarding charging my htc incread. I have been using my old BB storm ( rest in pieces ) car charger to charge my incread, is this a bad idea?

Thanks
    johnny0911

19. crkohl

crkohl Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. I'm doing the same with my old BB Curve car charger and a micro USB adapter for my DInc. No issues, but it's never really charged the phone for more than a couple of hours.