Can I lock my screen manually?Support

Last Updated:

1. stephenshaw74

stephenshaw74 Member This Topic's Starter

*Newbie alert* so apologees if this has been sorted elsewhere - I've searched but can only find reference to scrapping the screen lock altogether.

My gripe is that I would love to be able to lock my screen rather than waiting for it to happen automatically. It's a pain sticking the G1 in my pocket before the screen lock kicks in only to find out that I've opened apps accidently or started to call someone by mistake.
    Can this be done?
    Thank you

Advertisement
  2. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Just press the end call/power buton (the one on the bottom right) and it will lock the screen instantly

3. stephenshaw74

stephenshaw74 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm embarrassed :eek:
    Thanks for that. I'll be sure to check obvious solutions before posting again!!!

4. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

No need to be embarrased, often the simple things get overlooked

I'm sure all the members on here have asked a question of some description in the past, and unless you ask, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW !!!!!!
    :D:D

5. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

Just one word of warning...

don't try to 're-lock your screen' in the middle of a phone call.

(there are times where I'll want to look something up on the web in the middle of a call, or answer an SMS ... and whenever I finish doing those types of things, in a call or not, my habit is to lock the screen ... if I'm not really paying attention, then, well, I end up hanging up on the person I'm talking to)

6. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

i normally lock the phone accidentally anyways. does anyone else do this?
    like on other phones.. i normally use the red "end" button to go back to homescreen. but on the G1 its to lock the phone. boo.

7. PsychoBadBoy

PsychoBadBoy Member

Haha! Great advice.

Until I got used to the fact that the red button locked the phone, I was always trying to use it to get back to the home screen (I never pressed the Home button on my other phone for some reason).

8. Manacit

Manacit Well-Known Member

The end call button on my treo did the same thing, so I'm used to hitting the home button :p

9. pillow43

pillow43 New Member

I wonder if there anyway just to turn G1 on without pressing "menu". thx

10. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

In settings, you can set the screen timeout to never.

Of course, that will probably drain the battery much faster.

As another option, you can go to Settings > Applications > Development > Stay Awake to leave the screen unlocked when on a charger (including USB connection to a computer).

I sit in front of a computer 8 hours each day, so I just have it plugged in when I'm in the office. No battery drain!

11. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

Same here.

I have it set to not dim while plugged in, and I have micro-USB cables on my desktop at home, desktop at work, and on my nightstand (plugged into a wall wart for charging USB chargeable devices).

I also realized that since I don't really have an "Inbox" on Gmail (everything gets archived via filters), and what I mainly use for reading mail is a remembered search for "is:unread" ... I don't need to auto-sync my gmail either. So I turned off auto-sync. We'll see how that helps my battery life.

12. hutton

hutton New Member

can any one help i used to press the hang up button to lock my screen as said u can do in this but it has stop working has any one got any ideas how i can fix it as i really need the lock screen ???????????????? thanks