Can I manage photos/albums?

1. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I love my new phone and it's my first venture into android/smart phones. On all my old basic phones I could sort out my photo albums easily, placing family photos all together and nudies together as well. On this phone, all photos go in 1 of 2 places. If I take a pic with the camera, it goes in a camera folder. If I pull it off the web or save from a text, they go in a download folder. These seem to be my only options and my pics are a jumbled mess. I've read my book, played with my phone, been to multiple Sprint stores, and searched these forums to no avail. No one seems to know or care. Is there any way I can create new folders and move pics from one to the other?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Bnice

Bnice Guest

On your home screen hit the plus button and go to folders.
  3. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Just tried, and the only thing that does is puts widgets on my homescreen. I want to move pics from my download folder to other folders within my albums app.
  4. hunterx119

hunterx119 Member

you can manage them when you mount your phone to your computer. Mount the phone, and open it up on your computer, and create a new folder from there. Then you should just be able to drag and drop your pictures from there.
  5. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Thanks, I guess I'll have to try it this way. I was hoping the phone could do it on its own. My computer is an antique and I do most of my internet on the phone now. But if its the only way, I hope the computer can handle it.
  6. Bnice

Bnice Guest

I think there is a file manager that you can get from the. market that allows you to do that right from the phone.I think its call androzip
  7. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Astro File Manager will also let you move files around your SDcard on the fly. Check it out - It's a great app.
  8. annemania

annemania Member

eyebeam...thanks for the help on file managing. i like your avatar...pretty cool! :)
  9. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Thank you! I still can't access pics from my camera for some reason, but this lets me move files from downloads to different folders. I tried Astro a few days ago and it seemed too complicated. Comments on Andro referenced how much better it was than Astro too.
    Thanks again! Maybe after tinkering for a while I'll figure out how to get into my camera folder, but for now I'm very happy my downloads can all be put in the appropriate folders.
  10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You dont need to put pictures in the camera folder for them to show up in your album.

The pictures will show up in any folder on your sd card, with the name of the folder being the album name.

Read through the Hero guide in my signature for more help :p
  11. eire1993

eire1993 New Member

Mounted my phone and sync works fine, but can't access the phone's file directory to create folders or drag/drop files/folders. With my old Treo it just showed up as a removable storage drive and I could move/create folders as needed. Can't figure out why it doesn't show up when I open up "My Computer". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  12. nyx528

nyx528 Active Member

You have to make sure your phone is mounted first. When you connect the phone to the computer via usb cord, pull down your notification bar and tap on Connected to computer notification. This will pop up a window and just click on 'mount' to make the SD card visible to the computer. :)
  13. eire1993

eire1993 New Member

Thanks for clarifying what "mounted" entails. I will try that tonight and hopefully then be able to manage my pics.
  14. nyx528

nyx528 Active Member

I had NO idea either. I had to go back to the manual and re-read it like 4 times before I found what I was looking for. Glad to help :)
  15. Zyber

Zyber Member

Well, I have a problem with my android:
    I take pictures with my camera, the pics are saved on my phones memory. To connect my phone to PC doesn't help - the PC DO NOT WANT to see my phone. Ok, now I bought a SD card. Wow! My PC does see my phones SD card... so there is a connection, but still I'm not able to get my pics from phones memory. I tried to move these pics from phones memory to SD - there is no option to move files. <-- What? :confused:
    Weird... anyway, I called my tech support and they couldn't help me - they just do not know how this new model works. :mad: Why sell then?!
    Ok, I've read here that ASTRO file manager is very useful. Downloaded and installed the prog. E? The prog doesn't see my phones memory! Maybe it shouldn't either?
    Conclusion: All I want to do is to get my pics from phones memory to my PC.
    How do I do? Anybody?
  16. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I've still never hooked my phone to a PC. If you have Astro file manager, look in the folder named DCIM, that is where the pics from your camera should be. Maybe the same if you're viewing on your PC.
  17. Zyber

Zyber Member

ok, that dir u were talking about doesn't exist on my phone. Here is the list of dirs I have:
    cashe
    data
    dev
    etc
    proc
    root
    sbin
    sdcard
    sqlite_stmt_journals
    sys
    system

"sdcard" dir is probably my memory card wich I can remove, but the rest of dirs are my phone, right? I've been looking in(I think) every map but found no pics there.
    In case I go to "Gallery" on my phone then I'm able to see all pics I took.
  18. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

All the things you listed are from the phone you are right about that. You should be able to go into the one marked SDcard and find many more folders, including DCIM where your pics should be.
  19. Zyber

Zyber Member

No, the thing is that my pics are on the phone! Somewhere and somehow but they are there. Why am I so sure? Well, because if I remove SD card - I still have pics on the phone BUT not those I have on my SD card. I hope I explained it now...
  20. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... I get what you mean now. I'm clueless on a solution, sorry.
  21. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I know people that use sites like Mixxer have that same problem with ringtones saving to the phone instead of the SD card. The only way to get rid of them is to hard reset your phone back to factory settings.
  22. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Zyber

Astro works but the problem you talk about I have not heard of before.

But I will offer this suggestion. When you look at the pics on your phone are you using the Albums from the phone? If so, what designation - under Camera Shots? All Photos?

Did you goto the DCIM folder on the SD card using ASTRO? It's not hard to use, when it opens the folders from the SD Card are all right there, just browse them all... to try and find the files. When you say you remove the card and they are there, explain that a little more.

Also, when using Albums, if... when you view the picture and you hit menu, do you have the option to assign or share the file? If so, e-mail it to yourself so you can extract it from where ever it might be hiding on the phone. Then you might need to hard reset the phone as it has been suggested. But your e-mail account will have a hard copy of the pic file so you can copy it back to the SD card later or just print or to your pc or whatever you need.

Try that...
    :cool:
  23. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

The albums app also saves cache, so that may be why you still see the pics when the SD card is removed. Try deleting your cache by going to menu-settings-applications-albums

I'm also curious if you were taking pictures without an SD card in the phone and if that could be how the pictures could be saved to internal memory
  24. Zyber

Zyber Member

Thanx 4 tips, guys. I will try the things u were talking about and I will return with an answer... right now I'm kinda busy - work and stuff u know.
    How the pics could be saved to internal memory? I have now idea... I did have my SD card at the moment I took pistures... whatever, I will try to get those pics somehow.
    Once again - thanx for helping!
  25. oldjackbob

oldjackbob Well-Known Member

Have you ever been able to successfully access anything on your card? Are you sure your card is mounted? I know you said you mounted your phone when it was plugged into your computer, but have you ever, beyond a doubt, ever exercised / utilized / accessed the storage on your card? It doesn't appear that you have...and that makes me think your card isn't mounted, and perhaps has never been correctly mounted.