Can I order 3 EVOs and sell 2?

Last Updated:

1. bobodobo

bobodobo Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new to this forum, if I've posted in the wrong place or this question has been answered elsewhere, please accept my apologies and I'll crawl back into my cave.

I have 3 existing Sprint lines, month-to-month now after contract expired. I'd like to do the following:

1. Get a "Everything data family" plan
    2. Get 3 new EVOs
    3. Activate only 1 EVO, other 2 family members are non-technical, couldn't care less about gadgets and want to keep their old phones they know how to use
    4. Sell 2 brand new in-box EVOs on ebay for about $500 each (that price might go down as supply increases, but still should be a nice profit over the $199 I'll pay for the phones)
    5. De-activate the $10/mo 4G surcharge on the other 2 lines

Of course I'll be committed to a 2-year contract on the "Everything data family" plan and the other 2 lines will make minimal use of the data, but it's still a lot cheaper to do it this way than to create a new individual plan for the EVO and keep the basic family plan for the other 2 phones.

Any flaw in that plan? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member

I believe that would work as long as you keep the second two lines. You will probably have to activate 2 more phones on those lines to keep them open.

When I was in the Sprint store today, another person asked if she could buy a phone on her son's line because he was eligible, and port it over to her line because she wanted a new phone. The rep stated that "he wasn't allowed to do that, but once you purchase a phone, it is up to you what you do with it."

bobodobo likes this.
  3. enarez

enarez Member

You'll want to buy them from Best Buy or Radioshack since porting the number off the Evo will usually cause your rebate to become denied. BB and RS have a $100 instant rebate instead.

bobodobo likes this.
  4. bobodobo

Actually, I was just thinking, if I send in the rebate form, don't I get the rebate even if I haven't activated the phone yet? If I just wait until after I cash the rebate check to sell the phones, would that work?

The only reason I hesitate to go to RS or BB to buy the phone is that I get a corporate discount online which I don't think I'd get at a retail store. The 13% discount over 24 months is worth a lot more than any rebate so if I couldn't get both I'd forfeit the mail-in rebate.

Thanks for the very helpful answers!

5. stephenmg

stephenmg Member

While I was picking up my EVO, someone else asked about this. If you cancel before 90 Days, sprint will either charge you $200 of RS/BB behalf or ask you to return the phones.

6. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member

Yes, but that is canceling your line altogether. If you keep the lines open, this would not apply. They don't care what phone you're using, you just have to continue to pay your monthly fee. You're still fulfilling your contract.

7. drbgotenks

drbgotenks Active Member

If you order phones online from sprint, they just ship them to you. You don't ever need to activate them on your lines. You could sell them and the new owner can activate.

They only activate at the time of purchase in a store.

8. bobodobo

Ok so we all seem to be in agreement that this will work, the only question is, will I get the $100 per phone mail in rebate if I don't activate the phones on my lines? That works out to $8.33 per month effective savings (over 24 months) I don't get if 2 mail-in rebates are declined.

9. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Er, I think bestbuy or radio shack will force you to activate the phone before it leaves the door.

10. drbgotenks

drbgotenks Active Member

That's why they should be ordered online or through sprint telesales.

I'm not sure how the rebates will work. You need to read the fine print on the form.

11. bobodobo

Hmmm even the online rebate form is vague: "Mail-in rebate: It may be required that a device be active for a minimum of 30 days." So I was wondering if anyone had any tried anything similar with Sprint.

Well I suppose at worst Sprint would refuse to honor the rebate, then I could either return the phones to Sprint or sell them anyway, in which case my "cost basis" would be $299 instead of $199 and I presume I'd still come out ahead.

12. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

When I was in the Sprint store today, another person asked if she could buy a phone on her son's line because he was eligible, and port it over to her line because she wanted a new phone. The rep stated that "he wasn't allowed to do that, but once you purchase a phone, it is up to you what you do with it."[/QUOTE]

Thats odd, just shows how every store is different because this is how I got the hero earlier on. I just added another line, got the new line discount for the hero, added the hero to my existing line and put my curve on the new line without any issues.